Pont Llanio Milk Factory was built by a combination of the newly-formed British Milk Marketing Board and the Pumpsaint and District Agricultural Co-operative Society, opening in October 1937. Its main functions were as a factory for producing butter and powdered milk and as a depot for transfer of bulk liquid milk by rail tankers to London.
At its peak, it handled 4,000 gallons of milk per day, collected from across Cardiganshire and Carmarthenshire by a fleet of 30 lorries. Sales for 1941 totalled £132,474 15s. 0d.
The factory and its rail link closed in September 1970, milk intake and some of the staff being transferred to Felin Fach Creamery nearby. Since then all of the machinery has been stripped out and it has been used for farm storage.
Front, with covered milk unloading bays
Inside the unloading bays, input end
Main factory, output end
Hole in roof, presumably for a chimney
This room had a circular depression in the floor, possibly for a tank of some sort
Rear of buildings
Railway goods shed
Water tank for at the station
This building stands next door. Closer inspection reveals it to be an old mill
Inside the old mill - the concrete floor has completely collapsed
For more info see: http://www.coflein.gov.uk/en/site/91...C+PONT+LLANIO/
Thanks for reading,
› See more like: Pont Llanio Milk Factory - Mar. '11