RAF Lissett - Admin Site
RAF Lissett, near Bridlington, North Yorkshire, opened in February 1943, less than, two miles from the North Sea, made if the closest airbase to Northern Europe.
Seven domestic sites for a maximum 1,442 males and 351 females were dispersed in farmland around the area.
No. 158 Squadron arrived from RAF Rufforth to be the resident squadron on the 28 February. 158 Sqn was a heavy bomber squadron equipped with the four-engined Handley Page Halifax. The squadron flew the first operational mission on the night of 11/12 March 1943 when ten aircraft were flown to Stuggart, one failed to return.
158 Squadron continued in occupation right up to the end of the war, flying some 250 raids from Lissett with 144 Halifaxes failing to return or destroyed in operational crashes.
One of its aircraft, LV907, NP-F, named Friday the l3th, completed 128 operation sorties, a record unsurpassed by any other Bomber Command Halifax.
The final operation from Lissett was flown on April 25, 1945.
In December 2008 a 30 MW wind farm housing 12 turbines each 125 metres (410 ft) high was constructed across the western end of the airfield.
A memorial sculpture to 158 Squadron in the form of seven airmen is in location along with information boards.
11 of the turbines is named after Halifax Bombers which flew from the airfield.
The twelfth turbine is named after 6 airmen who perished on the airfield on 2nd July 1943 when a 1000lb bomb exploded without warning.
Here today, gone tomorrow
Thanks given by: