Lotus Shoe Factory, Banbridge, N. Ireland(UK)

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VforVendetta

Reaction score
In 1947, Down Shoes Ltd was opened to manufacture less expensive shoes for the Lotus Group. At it’s height, it became one of the largest employers in the area, employing 600 workers. Footwear was made with the brand names of Lotus, Marks and Spencer, Fii, and Frank Wright, although locally it was referred to as ‘the boot factory’.

The listed art deco building, initially built as an advance factory for the Northern Ireland Ministry of Commerce, has remained redundant and unoccupied since the factory closed it’s doors in 2002, when it became impossible to remain competitive.

In November 2008, planning permission was granted to convert the Lotus factory into approximately 160 houses and apartments.

It is envisaged that bringing the listed building back into use will provide an important focal point on the main gateway to Banbridge from Newry.

Courtesy of http://www.shazzakataya.com

lotus15.png

lotus14.png

lotus13.png

lotus12.png

lotus11.png

lotus10.png

lotus9.png

lotus8.png

lotus7.png

lotus6.png

lotus5.png

lotus4.png

lotus3.png

lotus2.png

lotus1.png

The pic with the graff 'zen' made me chuckle, as just before I noticed that I was thinking how the light and broken screen reminded me of a bamboo Japanese house. Hee.
I liked the clock pic too. :)
Nice to see you again, V. Long time, no Vee! :mrgreen:

I'm a bit disappointed tbh.

When I saw lotus shoes, in my mind I saw them making Heelys with gurt big motors strapped to the sides :(

Nice report though, cheers :)

The pic with the graff 'zen' made me chuckle, as just before I noticed that I was thinking how the light and broken screen reminded me of a bamboo Japanese house. Hee.
I liked the clock pic too. :)
Nice to see you again, V. Long time, no Vee! :mrgreen:

haha Thanks Foxy!

Latest posts

Back