Severalls Hospital -"now & then"

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lightbuoy

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Reaction score
Severalls Hospital (orginally Essex Second County Asylum)

"Now & Then"

During my visits to Severalls, the thought had often crossed my mind "I wonder what this looked like" and "I wish I'd seen this before it had been trashed / destroyed". To cut a long story short, a local Historian got in touch (who happens to be the proud owner of the real white wooden greenhouse, as featured in one of the corridor murals). He kindly lent me a book which was commissioned just after Severalls Hospital closed it's doors for the last time in 1997. I hope that these pictures will be of some interest. I've also tried to sift through my "cough, cough" small number of recent photographs, to see if I took any pictures of the same room / corridor / same or similar perspective etc. (some areas I'm not too sure about, so please let me know if I've incorrectly matched up my pics with the old ones) :eek:
I will upload these photos as often as I can. If anyone else has photos taken which match the old photos, please feel free to add them.
The only thing I would ask is PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE don't copy these pics (as my friend has copyright). If anyone would like to use these pics, please get in touch first. Thanks :)

First photo to follow shortly......

Last edited:
"A trip to the Barbers"

Sevs-TheBarbers.png

DSCN0709.png

nice one! any more pics of old severalls where you found that one?

before i clicked the bar to increase the size of the pic i thought his head was getting drilled, although i dont know why they would do it sitting up

Thanks for the positive comments chaps :)
Will be adding a new pic from time to time.
A drill Mr. Sam -don't think I'll be visiting your Barbers!!! :p;)

Lb:cool:

The Gatehouse & Weighbridge, Boxted Road

Sevs-TheGateHouseBoxtedRoad.png

DSCN7540.png

DSCN7541.png

I've been told that the Weighbridge was used for deliveries, such as coal, so the driver (and Hospital) knew how much coal had been delivered.
The wooden gates were taken down in the early 1960's (same time as the railings around the Hospital perimeter). I'm assuming that the Weighbridge has been removed, but perhaps it's still there and was just covered over?

Love now and then pics...really brings history home. Great idea Lb.
Wow to the Gatehouse and Weighbridge. The differences aren't huge, but do show the changing times.

Cheers :)

Work time indoors for the Patients

Male Patients
Sevs-MalePatientsworking.png

DSCN0721.png

Female Patients
Sevs-FemalePatientsworking.png

Unfortunately, I can't seem to find any of my pics of the Female workplace (located off the north east tip of the main Hospital complex, next to the Nurses' block) -Simon, think I remember seeing one of your pics of this place (with all the insulation hanging down?) Anyway, thought I'd add it for interest.

Wow, that's a really good insight into what life was like there! The book is like £85 on Amazon! I've read a lot of patient and staff quotes which dont paint too positive a light on the place. Thanks for sharing.

Wow, that's a really good insight into what life was like there! The book is like £85 on Amazon! I've read a lot of patient and staff quotes which dont paint too positive a light on the place. Thanks for sharing.

Is the book that you're referring to "Madness in it's place"? If so, then these photos are not from this book. These photos are from a smaller booklet -and was printed to commemorate the closure of Severalls Hospital.
Anyhow, thanks for the comments. Glad that you've found them interesting:)

Wicked before and after comparison! Love the shots. I can't wait to do something like Severalls or High Royds.:cry:

A Typical Corridor

Sevs-Typicalcorridor.png

DSCN1546.png

The above photo was taken in the same corridor looking in the other direction. The corridor is located west of the Main Kitchens, and runs north / south -originally from the east / west corridor near the Operating Theatres, past the stage end of the Main Hall, past the Kitchens, ending up near Admin and the Main Stores / Delivery Yard.
It's easy to forget how shiny the floors were, having never seen the inside of the Hospital before it closed (although you can just make out the ceiling paint starting to flake!)
Below is another of me pics -this one showing the closest mural in the old photo
DSCN6192.png

For those who are interested in the actual wall murals, here's one of the famous greenhouse
DSCN6189.png

And here it is for real!!!
DSCN9577.png

Last edited:
The murals really do cheer up the monotenous corridors. Shame that on me "last" visit, some joker had spray painted stick men onto some of them! :icon_evil::)icon_evil:(:icon_evil::)icon_evil

This is a great thread, and that corridor pic is great!
Its weird seeing the place looking so immaculate

Latest posts

Back