RAF Stenigot. My 1st post

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barney88

Reaction score
hello yesterday me and my cousin went out and by the off chance we found our selves out here at the old NATO base of RAF Stenigot up in the Lincolnshire wolds.
This is my 1st post so please be kind.

from the road

view from the road by barney2588, on Flickr

tower we used as a marker

stenigot tower the marker we used to find the site by barney2588, on Flickr

walking up to the site

entry again by barney2588, on Flickr

upon arrival

entry to the site with all 4 by barney2588, on Flickr

one for scale im 6ft

One for Scale by barney2588, on Flickr

a little dark

3 of the 4 Radars left by barney2588, on Flickr

another one for scale

another one for scale by barney2588, on Flickr

compression on the back of the radar dishes

compressed legs on back of the dish by barney2588, on Flickr

just about to leave

3 of the 4 by barney2588, on Flickr

rear of the one dish

rear of one by barney2588, on Flickr

leaving with belmount tower on the horizon

leaving the site with belmont tower on the horizon by barney2588, on Flickr

sorry about the rain but a panorama across from the site towards cadwell park

panorama of the wolds by barney2588, on Flickr

thank you for looking hopefully the pictures go on

Nice one! Great first report! I was told these got cut up for scrap ages ago, so glad to see they're still there. More interested in that tower now tho...that needs climbing!

tower very close to some house is the only problem we was very interested in going up but due to being there around tea time we thought best not

That's one of the last remaining original Chain Home masts remaining, be gentle with it.

Nice first report fella, I visited these last year when I was in the area and I love em, simple but brilliant!!!!

The tower has been retained by the MOD and is a grade 2 listed structure and is used for climbing aptitude training by the Aerial Erector School at RAF Digby, the guy who lives in the house next to it has very little else to do and is the self appointed guardian of it ;)

As for the Ops bunker, when we went it was pretty empty apart from some domestic storage

:)

Nice one! Great first report! I was told these got cut up for scrap ages ago, so glad to see they're still there. More interested in that tower now tho...that needs climbing!

As the good Captain says it is (I believe) one of only two left, the other being at Great Baddow, just outside Chelmsford.

Godzy

I love this place, would have loved to have seen it with the dishes still standing, but thanks for the pics anyway

Latest posts

Back