Banned by my college!

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

st33ly

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone. I just thought I would share with all of you that my college has banned me from urbex photography!
I am currently on a fine art course at my college and not that long ago I went in to get my assesment for the year and was told by my tutor that what I photograph had to stop immediately and when I come back next year I need to re-think my work. I was completely screwing as urbex is my thing and to have to change that to stay at college for the last year would be just like starting a fresh.

I am sure that when I started my course they encouraged me with my ideas and now i'm beginning to wonder if they even want me back. :mad:

Sorry for the rant. I'm just immensely annoyed right now.

I'd politely remind the college they should judge on the quality of your work, not moralise about the content. Especially on a creative course. I remember for my 6th form movie project I made a video that was essentially about boy racers hooning round car parks - the teacher disapproved of the subject matter but gave me an A because the actual work was good.

for every abandond building there is a flower, stone wall, sunset or disgruntled local to photograph aswell. take pics of them while hunting and use them on your course. failing that and if they dont want you back tell where to get off.

So you've not been banned from Urbex, you've been told not to submit anymore urbex photographs for your course? There's quite a large differrence.

Did they give a rational reason for telling you to stop ? ........ or was it just a case of because thay said so ?

This has happened to others - the argument I believe is that documenting the illegal* activity of others is one thing, doing it yourself to get images is completely different.

*Yes, I know urbex isn't normally illegal, but to your average person it is.

So you've not been banned from Urbex, you've been told not to submit anymore urbex photographs for your course? There's quite a large differrence.

Yes, sorry I didn't explain that too well. Submitting work thats urbex. But still thats what my work is about and they are telling me that they cannot "endorse that kind of behaviour". It's put a spannah in my works tbh.

It's a very grey area legally, and also potentially dangerous. Given the H&S nanny state fervour and the negative press surrounding urban exploration it's hardly surprising that academic institutions don't want to be seen to be encouraging their students to participate.

If I misunderstood and they have told you to stop urbex photography entirely then that is out of order. What you do in your own time is your business!

This has happened to others - the argument I believe is that documenting the illegal* activity of others is one thing, doing it yourself to get images is completely different.

*Yes, I know urbex isn't normally illegal, but to your average person it is.

You hit the nail on the head there. I understand that it's illegal and very unsafe but surely thats upto me right?

Also why didn't they have a problem with it last year when I was doing my national diploma and all of a sudden they have this major problem that could mean I don't stay for the last year and waste 5000 quid.

It's a very grey area legally, and also potentially dangerous. Given the H&S nanny state fervour and the negative press surrounding urban exploration it's hardly surprising that academic institutions don't want to be seen to be encouraging their students to participate.

If I misunderstood and they have told you to stop urbex photography entirely then that is out of order. What you do in your own time is your business!

They told me that they are concerened for my safety and that they don't know if i'll be there the one day and not the next. They think that putting my life at risk isn't worth it for the photographs. They just cannot see it from my point of view.

They think that putting my life at risk isn't worth it for the photographs.
So, they disapprove of people putting their life at risk for their photography? Well, that's scuppered war photographers and people who climb mountains to take incredible views. I'd be angry too. Bloody nanny state will have us all at home knitting...oh, wait...sharp needles; better just watch brainless TV instead. :lol:

So, they disapprove of people putting their life at risk for their photography? Well, that's scuppered war photographers and people who climb mountains to take incredible views. I'd be angry too. Bloody nanny state will have us all at home knitting...oh, wait...sharp needles; better just watch brainless TV instead. :lol:

I agree with the broader sentiment, but most colleges tend not to send students to war zones. At least, they don't usually mention it on the prospectus.

Until we annihilate the tabloids and sterilise all those who read them, the college is probably a bit worried about headlines like this: "Student dies after falling through floor of derelict factory, while taking photographs for school project."

St33ly: I'm sorry that your college has asked you not to include urbex photography in your portfolio, but I for one appreciate your work, and I hope that you continue to share it with us.

:lol: You're right, of course. I typed more in annoyance than thought.

That, I can empathise with. Myself, I am transmogrifying into a cross between Victor Meldrew and Noel Coward. Or, possibly, Noelle Gordon. It varies from day to day.

I agree with the broader sentiment, but most colleges tend not to send students to war zones. At least, they don't usually mention it on the prospectus.

Until we annihilate the tabloids and sterilise all those who read them, the college is probably a bit worried about headlines like this: "Student dies after falling through floor of derelict factory, while taking photographs for school project."

St33ly: I'm sorry that your college has asked you not to include urbex photography in your portfolio, but I for one appreciate your work, and I hope that you continue to share it with us.

I can understand where they are coming from but its my work and a subject I feel strongly about. They told me at the start of my course that my photographs have potential so why they want me to just stop just like that is very confusing :s.

I won't be stopping anytime soon as I have the bug now. I have spent to much money and time on this type of photography to just stop. It's the most interesting and important subject to photograph in my opinion and not one that should be frowned upon.

Thanks

Many moons ago I was involved with the Cheltenham's Art College, now part Gloucestershire University. There was a photography department within it. Students regularly showed pictures that would now be termed 'Urbex' - before the word had been invented. They especially exhibited derelict industrial material (it was the 1970s & 80s!) These were even shown at the end of year degree show. I do think that it's down to H&S paranoia :sick:

Many moons ago I was involved with the Cheltenham's Art College, now part Gloucestershire University. There was a photography department within it. Students regularly showed pictures that would now be termed 'Urbex' - before the word had been invented. They especially exhibited derelict industrial material (it was the 1970s & 80s!) These were even shown at the end of year degree show. I do think that it's down to H&S paranoia :sick:

My college is also part of that uni. I also had an end of year show when I was on my ND where I had my urbex photographs. I got alot of good fedback off the public and off my teachers. H&S must have made big changes in that year or so ago.

I understand from your post that your college are objecting to Urban Exploring as a means to get the photographs you feel you need to complete and be successfully in your chosen course.

I can see their point, exploring derelict places does have an element of danger and even though we may assess the risks and act accordingly there is always a chance that things may go wrong, you like most of us are willing to risk that, your college however dare not be seen to encourage you.

In your position I would look for a way to continue the course and still explore without worrying the tutors unduly, this could be as simple as changing the headings for your work from Dereliction of, to History of ,
I hope this helps, Good Luck

I'm sure you can despute against this.. was your work discussed with the head of department?..

Edit:

I'm in film production HE course, at my uni and i've used "derelict" locations, i've had no warnings at all..

I understand from your post that your college are objecting to Urban Exploring as a means to get the photographs you feel you need to complete and be successfully in your chosen course.

I can see their point, exploring derelict places does have an element of danger and even though we may assess the risks and act accordingly there is always a chance that things may go wrong, you like most of us are willing to risk that, your college however dare not be seen to encourage you.

In your position I would look for a way to continue the course and still explore without worrying the tutors unduly, this could be as simple as changing the headings for your work from Dereliction of, to History of ,
I hope this helps, Good Luck

Well it seems to me that any photograph that I submit that shows the inside of a derelict building will not be allowed regardless of what the title says.

When I get my assesment sheets back I will put down the statement that they read out to me.

Thanks anyways.

Back