Experienced Urbexers wanted

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SophieEngledew

Reaction score
Hey Guys, wasn''t sure if this was the best place to put this, but basically I’m a third year university student studying photography in London, and for my dissertation I am writing about urban exploration and how it has evolved and changed the genre of spatial photography (in a good way obviously!). I was just wondering if any experienced urbexers would be interested in being a part of my dissertation? It wouldn’t be much, just answering a couple of questions that I can then use to reference in my paper. If this sounds like something you’d be interested in, or you have any further questions then please don’t hesistate to email me back. Also if you wish to contribute but remain anonymous that is fine as well.

Thanks,
Sophie:)

We're happy to contribute so long as we are:

1. Not named.
2. Not asked for location info.
3. None of our pix are used which show our faces.
4. Any of our pix which are used are recognised as copyright to the authors.

Hope that helps. Happy disserting! :p

We're happy to contribute so long as we are:

1. Not named.
2. Not asked for location info.
3. None of our pix are used which show our faces.
4. Any of our pix which are used are recognised as copyright to the authors.

Hope that helps. Happy disserting! :p

Yep, same criteria for me! :)
There was someone called "cherrybombshell" who done the same not too long ago. I think her thread is still on Page 2 of this forum.
A few members on here have websites with FAQs as we get asked things a lot :)
Good luck!

TeeJF & UrbanX I filled this one in you guys will be fine she is happy for you to stay anon and location-less

Yeah!

You can count me in, more than happy to help you with your dissertation as long as the same rules that TeeJF has laid down apply to me to :)

Here you go guys, this is the one I filled in yesterday for Sophie, now don't be shy :)

Name or Alias:
1.When did you start exploring and what triggered the urbex 'virus' for you?

2. have you seen any big changes in the urbex scene. In terms of attitude towards/or a massive increase in popularity of urban exploring?

3.Where has been your favourite place to explore, and have you been faced with any particularly dangerous or risky experiences?

4.Do you think of yourself as a photographer who explorers or as an explorer who takes pictures?

Name or Alias: Krela

Always been doing it since I was a kid, first started under the name 'urbex' in 2003 if I remember correctly.

2. have you seen any big changes in the urbex scene. In terms of attitude towards/or a massive increase in popularity of urban exploring?

Yes, it has increased massively since 2003, largely when the petrolhead forums found out about it and decided to join en masse in 2005 then google probably has a lot to do with it since then too. Growth tends to be organic on the internet, so the more people do it, the more people will do it.

Attitude hasn't changed much, different people do different things for different reasons, and you get a wide spectrum whatever subject or hobby you're talking about.

3.Where has been your favourite place to explore, and have you been faced with any particularly dangerous or risky experiences?

Pyestock, CWM Cokeworks and Bridgewater Cellophane, all equally good before they all got trashed by pikeys around 2007/8. Heavy industry tends to be dangerous, common sense helps.

4.Do you think of yourself as a photographer who explorers or as an explorer who takes pictures?

I am both, together and independently of each other.

Info

Name or Alias: tattooed

I starting exploring several years ago, even as a young lad I loved to look inside derelict buildings. I think I was seven when my friends and I went inside the cooling tower at a power station, it was awesome! My first urbex I suppose?

Yes, in my opinion, urbexing has become more popular recently partly due to the many websites where urbexers post their images. I think many people have found the alternative hobby can become very addictive.

My favourite of all is Chernobyl and Pripyat in Ukraine, to me, the 'holy grail' of urbex locations! I have been caught by the police and security guards and nearly fallen through rotten floor boards and big holes. But, it is all worth if for the experience of being there and to capture the perfect image that captures the atmosphere of the location.

Generally, I am both as I love to explore and take photos to document the location but I am primeraly a photographer on a daily basis at work.

Please feel free to use my images for your dissertaion ONLY, but they must NOT be edited, altered or redistributed in any other way or by any other person. :)

Name or Alias: Paul Powers - PaulP

I started exploring at about 12 but I didn't get a camera to document my explores until 18 years later

Yeah, every one now seems to be cashing in but the fact is the weekenders wont go to some of the places I go so it doesn't effect me.

I can't say my fav place as it shouldn't be mentioned in public but I will say it was in a mine looking down in to very deep water stood on a very dangerous bridge and knowing if the 20 foot fall didn't kill me I would drown if I fell.

I'm an explorer with a camera.

I need to start charging people to do this... :mrgreen::icon_evil

See, that’s why Krela’s the boss, good business acumen.

I’d be glad to help but I’ve only been doing it for sixty years or so, so not experienced enough, Good Luck.

Name or Alias: Steely

I started urban exploring only 3 years ago and it was because of websites such as this one.

I think urbex has become very popular in the last year with more and more people joining the family. Im not sure that in my 3 years of urbex Ive seen any major changes that are worth writing down.

My favourite explore has got to of been the Hoarders House with its cars and time warp house. Could of been a museum.
I think I've been quite lucky so far as I haven't yet experienced any real dangers whilst out exploring :).

I would say I'm a photographer that explores as I don't just photograph derelicts.

Name or Alias: mookster

Lurker on the forums for a few years looking at the amazing places before finally getting out there with a friend of mine in June 2009, haven't looked back since. I was always interested in derelict and abandoned places since I was a young kid as there were various houses nearby that were abandoned although I never got a chance to look inside them.

The internet has made many more people aware of this but mostly this interest is transient, people looking for film locations and journalists after a story etc etc. Biggest change of the scene in the last few years has to be the demise of many of the asylums that were explorable up until a couple of years back, now there are little more than a handful left.

It's such a hard job to pick out a favourite as I've seen so many cool things but you'll probably see the name Pyestock crop up an awful lot, it is a truly stunning place and it still occupies the top spot on my list. However West Park during 'tourist season' and Hellingly Asylums were both awesome, now demolished. Industrial explores in general are my main attraction though as there is so much variety. Riskiest/most dangerous...for me the climb up the tower at Denbigh Asylum in North Wales, anyone who has attempted it knows just how dangerous it is! Encountered off-lead guard dogs inside a girls school in Haslemere (ran away bloody fast), narrowly avoided impaling my thigh on a deliberately sharpened metal pole whilst stopping myself falling ten feet onto concrete and broken glass climbing into the hospital boiler house at RAF Upper Heyford (left with a pretty hefty bruise)

A bit of both, the first time I go somewhere proper full-on photographer mode is engaged usually but if I return with someone else I will soak up the atmosphere of a place, have a proper poke around in nooks and crannies for things I have missed....or if I'm on my own as well I'll have a good chill, take a few shots at my own pace and suchlike.

Name or Alias: We are known on this forum by my wife's old on line nickname "TeeJF" though she has become Tonto due to "wearing" a mask to obscure her identity on some of our uploaded pictures. I dunno what I am called but I answer to most things... :p

I have always explored, I just didn't realise doing it has a name. When I come to think of it my father was the same and I can remember him taking me in to look around abandoned places on occasion. When I was a kid he once explored a disused building whilst he was waiting to pick me up from something, and found a set of pram wheels which he used to build me a go cart. The same goes for my wife (who is my co-explorer) though she didn't really get the bug big time until we started wreck diving. Now that I am rather older wreck diving holds less of an allure so exploring inside interesting places ABOVE water has become far more attractive. We both have an enormous interest in ancient Egypt and have explored inside many tombs which were closed so I guess urbexing is something we have always done. She used to play in some old farm buildings as a child and has always enjoyed formal tours of places like Fountains Abbey etc.

I couldn't say because I haven't followed the "scene" in the past. I found this forum when someone sent me a link to a building I had once worked in, and it was only then that I realised urbex had a following and forums et all. Having said that I have been surprised at the number of people who are into it, especially girls, who I had never really considered would find such stuff of interest, especially if it meant getting mucky - I thought my wife was an oddball because she doesn't think twice about ploughing through mud or squeezing under a fallen wall inside a WW1 fort! Now I know she's just one of many in terms of the level of interest she has in it.

That's a hard one because we have visited so many awesome places. Beelitz Heilstatten TB sanatorium in Germany was so epic we went back to Berlin twice and spent a total of 4 days exploring the place so I guess I'd have to chose that. Chateau Miranda in Belgium is simply beautiful and a monster explore - one of our first "formal" urbexs as it were - it makes one so sad to see it rotting away. Lillesden Girls School was practically another Chateau Miranda and our explore was so relaxed it became an absolute joy. And for wierd reasons we enjoyed exploring an old people's care home recently which was full of artifacts and looked like the residents had gone out for the day - the phone still worked (and rang twice whilst we were there!!!), there were lights on in the cellar and even food in the kitchen. And yet externally it was boarded, the windows were rotting for want of paint, and the garden was a total jungle! Finally getting into some of the WW1 forts in Verdun was absolutely great but one in particular - Fort du Regret - blew our minds because of how intact it was - the painted labelling on the walls is still original and there was even a machine gun - albeit damaged beyond repair - in one of the turrets with an ammunition clip on the breach feed mechanism! TJ says for her it was Fort du Regret in Verdun too but she struggled to chose between that and Fort de Genicourt, also in Verdun.

As to risky then yes. But the thing is the risk you take is usually pretty carefully calculated, you don't just barge in like a bull in a china shop. The trouble is the urge to go that bit further into a building, see that little bit more, get that aerial picture, can cloud your judgement. But as a matter of course in urbex there are many buildings with rotten floors and I went straight through one recently in Whittingham Asylum - fortunately the drop was all of a foot! I stood on a floor in Denbigh Asylum and felt the carpet being "sucked" down a hole under me, and we have walked along ceiling beams over a 12 foot drop in Miranda because the floor had rotted away. But possibly our riskiest encounter was at a WW1 fort in Verdun which we were trying to get into. We could not find a way until we came to the remains of a counterscarp gallery that had been hit with a seriously large shell. We squeezed in under the wall and once inside we thought we could see a route in to the fort proper by squeezing under the back wall which had also partially collapsed. TJ is much smaller than me so she rolled under what amounted to several tons of concrete held up by nothing more than a few strands of rebar. When I think of it now it makes my blood run cold though stupidly at the time we were both so fired up with excitement the risk didn't ocurr to us. :( Sadly the tunnel beyond which should have led us under the moat and into the fort proper had been completely bricked up.

Definitely an explorer who takes a camera along to try to capture memories for when I'm even more wrinkly. That is also why I have created a sprawkling personal urbex and diving website so that we have our own virtual photo album we can dip into anywhere when we want to show our friends the pix. To be honest I'm no great shakes as a photographer and until now have only used an automatic handy snappy. It is literally yesterday that I finally bit the bullet and bought a decent camera. TJ is very much in the same position and has only started taking pics about three months ago. Having said that she appears to have a flair for it. But there are some urbex photographers who excell, and many are on this forum. We are also continually amazed by the work of some of the photographers who shift everything in the opposite direction and don't explore in the normal sense but use their surroundings purely as a back drop to create "urban photo art" with models, props etc. An example of this would be a young woman called Elle Dunne who has a site called Contamination Zone (click for link).

Hope that helps... PM if you want to know anything else. :)

Name or Alias: cogito

2006. I was getting bored of being a photographer stuck on an island no bigger than a few square miles. Fortunately for me that island happened to be one of the most densely populated areas in the country and so with the advent of enclosed space into my mindset as well as open space I suddenly had a lot more to play with.

Definitely. Over the years it's grown exponentially on the internet in the form of forums and flickr groups, which in turn has thrust it into the eyes of thousands more people. Since then it's exploded on flickr, tumblr and even deviantART. It's been good and bad. While dereliction is now suddenly socially acceptably accessible to more people, thus removing some of the mystery, on the flip side it's drove the more experienced and more willing explorers to newer heights and depths, simultaneously becoming both more secretive and more public in their activities. This comes as part of the territory though, with increasingly more risky (both physically and legally) sites being done people are going to greater lengths to protect their true identities to reduce the risk of being bitten on the ass by the law; but at the same these new sites on new blogs are being jumped on by the international media... And increased public awareness of the activity rather than the individuals can only be a good thing for the exploring "community." I mean just look at the Cave Clan.

There have been countless times where I've been lying face down in pigeon shit, razor wire, long grass, gutters, piles of asbestos, mud, broken glass etc and wondered to myself at what point in my life did I make a concious decision that set me on the path down to this particular eventuality. Similarly there have been countless times where I've found myself with numb fingers, two pairs of gloves on, battered by the wind and hanging over something that'd kill me slowly. You get on with it, you're there for a reason and the risk is entirely calculated. If something goes wrong you have to be entirely comfortable that it was down to your own doing and accept that, so even if you end up with the worst possible outcome you're still happy that you did something rather than regretted not doing it. There are roughly ten or so stand-out places that spring to mind for me, almost all over the past 18 months, none of which I dare name in public for a variety of reasons.

First and foremost I was a photographer. Then exploring became a huge part of my life. Now the two feed each other.

Wow! can I just say a huge thanks guys, if i'm honest I wasnt expecting such a positive response, so this has literally made my christmas! :D, yeah, as mentioned before anyone that wants to remain anon will do, and any quotes or images I use will all be credited to the respective authors!

Wow! can I just say a huge thanks guys, if i'm honest I wasnt expecting such a positive response, so this has literally made my christmas! :D, yeah, as mentioned before anyone that wants to remain anon will do, and any quotes or images I use will all be credited to the respective authors!

We're a friendly bunch here, and I know how hard it is gathering data for research projects. Think yourself lucky, at undergrad level it's comparitively easy. I have to sit and pass various ethics panels and vet my research participants for my dissertation, it's taken 5 months so far!

Latest posts

Back