Barnes, Cheadle and Most UN-Haunted

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mr_bones

Gormless Moderator
Reaction score
Barnes convalescent hospital is a noticeable landmark and easily visible from the motorway and major roads around Cheadle. It is a stunning looking building, with a central clock and bell tower. The main building comprises of 2 long and legs extending from the central buildings with rooms stemming off a central corridor that runs the entire length of the building.

I first visited this place on new years day 2005, i was shown around by Valan and Nokturna and we were also joined by m00seofd00m. The building had suffered some vandalism and natural decay but remained largely in tact - behind the boards and vegetation there was a grand gothic looking building waiting to be uncovered.

On the first visit we covered a lot of ground including the all important tower climb. Who could resist sounding the almighty bell, not us!!

1111.jpg

2222.jpg

4444.jpg

barnes.jpg

DSCF1427.jpg

DSCF1453.jpg

DSCF1456.jpg

DSCF1464.jpg

DSCF1504.jpg

DSCF1519.jpg

DSCF1533.jpg

DSCF1540.jpg

This bell was ripped from the tower weeks later, leaving a gaping hole in the side

DSCF1545.jpg

A few months later we all heard that an episode of 'Most Haunted' had been shot at Barnes. There was some controversy over this as they shot it referring to the building as an asylum, when clearly it wasn't. Furthermore they played their supposed spirits to be that of twisted and confused people.

Why protest when you can just take the mickey back - Most UN-Haunted was devised and we returned to film our very own spoof!

The night before we went in to film, we approached the building to check if we would get away with filming without upsetting security - we didn't have much problem!! I took these shots on that night...

1-19.jpg

2-23.jpg

3-18.jpg

The next day we arrived. I (Derek A-HORE-A), Valan (Yvette Fieldmouse), Nokturna on camera and random long haired ghost, Jaff fox (Jeremy Spacesaver :)), Lost, Sithean and others filmed away. The biggest problem we had was we couldn't stop laughing!!!

spooky wheelchair

DSCF1397.jpg

Derek tries out his costume

DSCF1398.jpg

The ghost of Nokturna comes whooshing past

DSCF1411.jpg

Fillum crew

DSCF1412.jpg

The kitchen where Derek gets posessed by hubert cumberdale

DSCF1414.jpg

Introducing Jeremy

DSCF1416.jpg

DSCF1417.jpg

Derek takes off costume, scrambles up the clocktower, takes some photos and then returns to character!!!

5-19.jpg

4-18.jpg

In 2006, conversion started at Barned but mysteriously work stopped at a time when the building had been stripped right back to bare floors, ceilings, walls and all windows remained wide open and unboarded. 'Travelling folk' took over the site and spread their rubbish as far around the site as possible. These photos were taken in August 2007.

Scan10236.jpg

Scan10237.jpg

That's a stunning building, Mr B, and stunning photos too. Enjoyed seeing those, especially the rooftop angel (hope it wasn't a weeping one! :eek: Don't blink!). :D
Looking very eighties in your costume, I must say! :lol:

I was really surprised to spot this place on Saturday, I had just passed Parrs Wood leisure complex & I see a Cane Hill style bell tower.

Some bits inside look like a 1970s Social Club, going by the photos.

haha wicked I love it! do you have a youtube video of it or something? gorgeous building as well by the way!:)

omg!! i now have flash-back visions to me trying to haul myself up through a window while we were trying to get a good picture of the statue. :D
lol.

lol cheers for posting that bones! ;) :p well, at least it only lasts 6 seconds and noone else witnesses the 3-4 other vain attempts to get in through a window not much higher that 3 feet off the floor...

i'm having physio now mind you to get my shoulders back into gear.

Hi,

I dont suppose you could give me the link on Google Map for this place could you !? would love to visit it but have spent some time looking for it on the internet with no luck!! :)

Would be grateful if you could anyway,

Cheers,
S4M :)

I don't usually give out exact details of locations but it's quite a well known site. If you head towards Cheadle it will be hard to miss ;), you can see it really easily from the motorway / dual carriageway.

Latest posts

Back