Favourite type of site?

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What is your favourite type of site?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

james.s

Reaction score
I've been wondering, what are your favourite types of site, do you like a specific "genre" of Urbex, or a bit of everything, like me?
Select more than one option if you wish, but if you have loads, I suggest you select "everything"

Your votes are welcomed ;)

Last edited:
Not in any particular order,my faves are tunnels,culverts,cellars and hidden behind the scenes type of areas closely followed by old theatres and cinemas.I have done quite a few of these and they never fail to intrigue me with their history and atmosphere.:)

My main port of call is industry, as well as rooftops and drains. I enjoy industry as my family has strong connections in Derby's manufacturing industries and was always fascinated by the huge factories my bus passed as a child. I find the machinery in such places very photogenic and memorable, something other types of places have failed to do as of late.

Rooftops I enjoy as I like taking photos at night, and also the challenges in accessing a rooftop at 3 in the morning without alerting half of Manchester. Drains I enjoy for the light painting and their "hidden world" feel. I enjoy visiting other places, but I find Asylum's and Military sites unexciting.

Hospitals and asylums are probably what interest me most, but anything Urbex makes me happy! Houses are always good too.

Hospitals & Asylums, and Industrial sites are the type of places I like to explore the most. Saying that i do like to explore a variety of other sites now and again too :)

Mines, its an obsession:mrgreen: And anything else underground. Not into surface stuff really except wartime relics. Hate hospitals and asylums.

You forgot railways :confused: , but anything military and stuff that's been unused for years, building that have recently become derelict don't nave any appeal.

Phil

You forgot railways :confused: , but anything military and stuff that's been unused for years, building that have recently become derelict don't nave any appeal.

Phil

Terribly sorry, but now you have mentioned it other people will see, it can be in the miscellany category :)

... building that have recently become derelict don't nave any appeal.

Me neither, especially if it's an office or a hospital...especially a hospital!!! Don't like them in real life, so don't like them barely derelict either! Do like the architecture of some of the asylums, but not morgues and stuff like that.
Love the aesthetics and history of a building...churches and castles, etc...and love military, quarries and certain interesting industry.
Oh, and anything rural. :mrgreen:
And railways...and bridges...and odd remains that need some detective work to find out what they were. :lol:

Last edited:
I see what you're saying Foxy. But don't let's forget that although a place has only recently become derelict, unless you move fast, it quite often won't be there in a decayed state, as it's likely to become office blocks or houses before you know it. It might not be appealing on a personal level, but somebody somewhere may think otherwise. And in years to come, you'll be glad you made the decision.

To my regret, that's what happened to a place nearby. Gone forever, and replaced by timber framed monstrosities. :(

But to make up for it, I've sorted access to somewhere else that WILL be flattened. Whilst it's still very much a semi live site, I need to document it before the bulldozers move in. Can't reveal it's location just yet as folks are still working there. But once it's gone, I'll report back. Maybe even get some before and after shots. :D

Me neither, especially if it's an office or a hospital...especially a hospital!!! Don't like them in real life, so don't like them barely derelict either! Do like the architecture of some of the asylums, but not morgues and stuff like that.
Love the aesthetics and history of a building...churches and castles, etc...and love military, quarries and certain interesting industry.
Oh, and anything rural. :mrgreen:

Well put Foxy, my thoughts in a nutshell! ;)

I put Underground and Military, because thats the only type iv done so far, but would love to do Asylums, and leisure sites, but basically all really.

Interesting poll, should be a mandatory one!

I love most things, but I love underground rivers, don't like the sewers though, but the different types of build in underground culverts are awesome. Anything from brickwork to stone and concrete thrown in too. That's my favourite at the moment.

Also, love anything to do with either Military, or Railways, preferably derelict rail lines with parts of the track still in place, and other bits of railway stuff thrown in for good measure.

Like different industrial buildings, some huge like foundries etc, and some tiny one room industrial buildings, so many different types and sizes that I find fascinating.

Rural stuff, you find lots of interesting things that are still left in situ. Like finding an old farm or house or something off the beaten track, then when you wander in, finding old aga's, gorgeous fire surrounds and sometimes paperwork or books covered in cobwebs and dust.

And holiday camps, (that's cos i worked on a couple so enjoy looking around those). Spent 20 years walking all around the old Butlin's camp at Filey, watching it getting more and more derelict as the years went on, always wish I'd had the foresight to take a camera with me to take pics of it slowly deteriorating.

Excellent thread. :)

:) Sal

I like some recently closed sites, as long as they have some some kit left behind. I think it's pretty amazing to be the only person (or few people) walking around an intact disused hospital, distillery, factory or whatever.

Cool, there is a lot of variety here! I guess that's what makes the forum so interesting. Thanks guys, keep it coming!

:neutral: There are two H&S COSHH men however ;)

If it's a place that localish to me, it doesn't matter if it's year's old, or a new place that's either closed donkey's years ago, or closed last week. I'm just documenting it as it's local, and most of the stuff around me has disappeared very quickly. :( So have to keep my eyes open all the time around here.

Further affield, it just depends on either what the architecture is like, or if it's railway stuff, i'm there whatever condition it's in. :)

I guess it all depends on what exactly it is you're exploring at the end of the day. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back