St Joseph's Seminary, Wigan. May 2008

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gibbo

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Reaction score
St Joseph's Seminary, also known as Upholland College is one of the North West of England's finest sites.

The seminary was used for the training of Catholic Priests, was founded in 1880 and ran until the 1990's.

The site was a popular urbex location a year or two ago, but has been left in peace until recently. A tip off about the change of use from a deserted to a live site gave me a very brief opportunity to take a number of visits earlier this month.

The place is huge and you can easily lose five or six hours there. Although many areas will have been seen in earlier reports, I hope that some of these photos - covering the little seen ground floor, laundry, washrooms & showers and basements - are new to many of you.

jo3.jpg

jo4.jpg

jo5.jpg

jo8.jpg

jo12.jpg

jo13.jpg

jo17.jpg

jo18.jpg

jo25.jpg

jo31.jpg

jo04.jpg

jo05.jpg

jo06.jpg

jo09.jpg

jo10.jpg

jo12.jpg

jo15.jpg

jo16.jpg

jo17.jpg

jo18.jpg

jo20.jpg

jo21.jpg

jo22.jpg

jo23.jpg

jo24s.jpg

Lovely stuff! The library's looking a bit messy, I wonder if that's from filming.

It's actually got much worse recently. They aren't taking care of the place at all. :mad:

What a shame:( When I went there in January, the only thing I noticed was a bit more rubbish but apart from that, it was pretty much the same.

Hell thats amazing. I am creaming myself over that triple manual organ, I want to give it a blast, its mint. But I must ask, what the devil is that in picture 2??
I cant handle dummies and it is freaking me out! Brilliant place mate, nice one:)

Always nice to see pics of St Jo's :mrgreen:

Looks like all the roof dorms have been set up, esp with the book at the end and the matching curtains... what are they filming?

jo17.jpg

WTF is that person looking thing on the floor??
Good to see the inside of the chapel and alot of the ground floors, I never went down there because of the pirs but I so wish I had it looks awesome!
That dummy mannequin is priceless:mrgreen:

WTF is that person looking thing on the floor??

It's just a bag of rubbish! I didn't notice it when I took the photo but when I got home and saw it, I had to go back and check. It's purely down to the angle I was at when I took the photo!

Good to see this place again.

Love the church and wash rooms, I didn't see them :(

What an amazing place! Looks like a brilliant explore but that dummy is seriously freaky and wtf is with the sheep?!?

Always enjoyed seeing photos of the site...it's an amazing place. Sad to see all the books scattered around like that though. Great wine cellar. Is that a real sheep, btw? :eek:

Good work. That place just never disappoints. I'm sure even now there are some treasures yet to be discovered. It's a shame to see library books chucked about, etc, but then we all know this kind of thing is inevitable. The bathrooms look quite something - for masters or senior students, I'm guessing.

A superb building, shame about the mess on the floor. How does that happen? Vandals just chucking stuff around, or did someone just have a major tiff?

Nice explore, and a good number of great photos too.

Latest posts

Back