Stanley Royd Hospital. Wakefield.

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silent Hill

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Reaction score
The Pennine Chain. Land of Clogs, Flat Caps and Dr
I must admit to having a passionate nature where Asylums are concerned. It must stem from my younger days when my aunt worked on the isolation wards at the former Storthes Hall Asylum on the outskirts of my home town of Huddersfield. I remember my visits up there as though they were yesterday :) Nowadays I spend my time doing research on them! And the odd explore or two ;)

Stanley Royd was the first Pauper Asylum to be opened in Yorkshire. It's doors swung open in 1818 and closed shut for the last time in 1995.

Here's a birds eye view of the Asylum during demo prior to redevelopment....

sr6.jpg

And how she looks today....

sr3.jpg

Nice place to live as I see it :)

sr4.jpg

And this is the clock tower that was once flanked by the main entrance and admin buildings. She now stands alone.....

sr2.jpg

This brings me to the Stephen Beaumont Museum which depicts the story of the Asylum. It holds many artifacts from those dark days. More detailed info here...... http://stanleyroydhospital.pikfu.net/set1635308/

Stephen Beaumont was the chairman of the Wakefield area health authority. He was also a fighter pilot in the battle of britain with the 609 sqaudron.

Lets sample some of the museums delights.

The locks from the main gates....

sr7.jpg

And nurse Firth holds the keys.... :mrgreen:

sr1.jpg

Some of the restraints used....

sr29.jpg

sr21.jpg

sr22.jpg

Respirometer....

sr25.jpg

Some Oxygen may come in useful too....

sr30.jpg

sr31.jpg

Lovely preserved Victorian stained glass....

sr57.jpg

Block stamps....

sr24.jpg

Sir Hiram Maxim....
He was a long-time sufferer from bronchitis who patented and manufactured a pocket menthol inhaler and a larger "Pipe of Peace" that he claimed could relieve asthma.

sr20.jpg

The Padded Cell....

sr51.jpg

sr11.jpg

sr50.jpg

The Morgue body trolley....

sr27.jpg

And where most of us end up.... The Slab.

sr9.jpg

This one however came from High Royds Hospital Menston....

sr14.jpg

And finally! The book aptly named "THE HOUSE"

sr56.jpg

Which is of special interest as it covers the entire directors from opening to closure. It's a fascinating read, and was co-written by the curator Mr. A.L.Ashworth.... And here's my signed copy of the book by the man himself :mrgreen:

sr55.jpg

Thanks for looking, and if anyone happens to be passing through Wakefield! Then a visit here is a must :)

:wink:

This was done as a reference report! If it does not comply with forum regs then please feel free to move it.

The book just about covers everything about the Asylum mate

Cheers! I'll try to get a copy I think. Damn! I just looked and it's not available anymore... :(

Have you seen a book called, "The Lives They Left Behind" ISBN:-13: 978-1-934137-14-7 ?

It's about the lives of several former patients of an asylum in America pieced together from the artifacts and documents found in a load of old suitcases discovered in the attic of part of the asylum after it closed. Quite an interesting read.

Cheers! I'll try to get a copy I think. Damn! I just looked and it's not available anymore... :(

Have you seen a book called, "The Lives They Left Behind" ISBN:-13: 978-1-934137-14-7 ?

It's about the lives of several former patients of an asylum in America pieced together from the artifacts and documents found in a load of old suitcases discovered in the attic of part of the asylum after it closed. Quite an interesting read.

Not seen that book mate.... I will look into it.

The house may be hard to get hold of by the looks of it, but will give you a nudge if one happens to surface ;)

Latest posts

Back