Methil Power Station - Fife, Scotland

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rjg_scotland

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Reaction score
Feeling the need to contribute something, here's a selection of photos from a visit with 'pincheck' and a mate to Methil Power Station - Fife, Scotland earlier this year.

The power station opened in the 60s and closed in the late 90s and was briefly used to test "clean coal" technology after. I find that a bit ironic considering it was originally running off dirty coal slurry.

The full set are here: http://pics.rguk.eu/methil_220208

DSCF0272.sized.jpg

DSCF0188.sized.jpg

DSCF0196.sized.jpg

DSCF0200.sized.jpg

DSCF0205.jpg

DSCF0243.jpg

DSCF0033.sized.jpg

DSCF0030.sized.jpg

DSCF0063.sized.jpg

DSCF0081.sized.jpg

DSCF0107.sized.jpg

DSCF0164.sized.jpg

DSCF0167.sized.jpg

DSCF0269.sized.jpg

DSCF0275.sized.jpg

Continued...

Superb!

It's nice to see stuff intact, I guess there's not the same demand for land up there.

Yeah if I remember right there's a bit of an issue with Methil, I think it's something to do with the fact that the place contains a lot of asbestos (P3 masks are a must) and it would take quite a bit of work to remove it and demolish the power station. I'm sure it'll happen eventually but it seems to be staying put for now :)

Yeah if I remember right there's a bit of an issue with Methil, I think it's something to do with the fact that the place contains a lot of asbestos (P3 masks are a must) and it would take quite a bit of work to remove it and demolish the power station. I'm sure it'll happen eventually but it seems to be staying put for now :)

See asbestos doesn't stop them around here, the value of land is worth the cost of the cleanup.

Not that they do it properly...

Its a really interesting place to see and work round as its so well in tacked including the stores where they have a stack of freshly wrapped turbine blades :)

I'd hate to end up behind the doors of the asbestos store :eek: I can't say I've found many places with one of them.

yeh the place is impressive just due because 99% is still complete from the control rooms to the turbines to the base layer which has a lot of storage rooms and labs to check the slurry samples. people who get in won't be dissappointed but there is a great deal off hazzard involved with it due to salt air corrosion in places outside on walkways.

Hi there,

I been waiting to see if anyone cracks this...
Glad to see it's finally explorable..!

I am heading up to glsgow for a few days, looking to have a look in this one.
So is anyone else around the area in mid july?

Hi there,

I been waiting to see if anyone cracks this...
Glad to see it's finally explorable..!

I am heading up to glsgow for a few days, looking to have a look in this one.
So is anyone else around the area in mid july?

Your not planning to launch fireworks from it are you?

Why would l do that to this site???

That seems pretty stupid.

I hear you are about to go somewhere and do that yourself... but anyway they are fun but in certain places where it will not ruin the location.... which is few and far between.

Last edited:
The only plac I know that I really seen good effects for fireworks is in a very big drain, and then they look spectacular.

Latest posts

Back