Balintore Castle, April 2008.

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spacepunk

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Reaction score
Balintoreapr08059Small-1.jpg

Hello again and thanks for viewing.
This awesome castle is situated about 10 miles from Kirriemuir and as it was a glorious day for a bit of urbexing, this place was top of the list for the days adventure.
The exterior is in good condition but the insides have rotted away, so it was a tentative 'creep' about the place.

The insides seem to have been 'spewed out'.
Balintoreapr08017Small.jpg

This is what I was faced with for most of the explore.
Balintoreapr08014Small.jpg

Spiral stairs in the turret.
Balintoreapr08015Small.jpg

Four flights of stairs.
Balintoreapr08047Small.jpg

One of the many corridors.
Balintoreapr08056Small.jpg

Looking down into the main room.
Balintoreapr08042Small.jpg

This lead to a small courtyard.
Balintoreapr08027Small.jpg

Signs of work getting done.
Balintoreapr08034Small.jpg

High up windows.
Balintoreapr08028Small.jpg

Looking up one of the turrets.
Balintoreapr08019Small.jpg

Fireplace, there were loads of these.
Balintoreapr08018Small.jpg

Hole in the roof.
Balintoreapr08023Small.jpg

Old door handle.
Balintoreapr08040Small.jpg

View from the side window.
Balintoreapr08037Small.jpg

Dumb-waiter wheel.
Balintoreapr08045Small.jpg

Stuff lying about.
Balintoreapr08025Small.jpg

Rotting away.
Balintoreapr08043Small.jpg

The gatehouse at the bottom of the hill.
Balintoreapr08065Small.jpg

Love'n'peace
SP

What a gorgeous place! That door handle and the bits and bobs are quite special to my mind and those high-up windows are fabulous. Very nice explore and photos. :)

I really, really like this. Those turrets are gorgeous. Love both the corridor pics, they look great. Love the outside ofthe building too especially with the gatehouse.

Excellent pics, really do like this.

Cheers,

:) Sal

Its a lovely building, but I'd also point out it's now slowly having restoration work done and is lived in (not the main trashed bit :mrgreen:). The owner though is, to his immense credit, very welcoming to visitors so anyone considering going should bear this in mind in the future.

That's a task I'd never take on, good luck to the guy, it looks amazing as it is now...I bet he won't want Urb-exers wandering through the place when it's finished:lol:

That is mint compared to Crawford Priory! Now that is one derelict building. Floors? What floors.:lol: I will try to get a post up soon. Nice report Spacepunk, loving the stair shot!:mrgreen:

I didn't realise this was inhabited. Ooops:eek:
I spoke to some guy who lives near by and he told me a bit about the history of the place but never mentioned it was occupiedish.

I didn't realise this was inhabited. Ooops:eek:
I spoke to some guy who lives near by and he told me a bit about the history of the place but never mentioned it was occupiedish.

So what is the history, please share!

EDit: forgot to say nice photos

Well, he said it's not as old as you think it is, designed around the 1860s by William Burn. It was used by Polish soldiers/workers during the war and it was last used as a sporting lodge by some wealthy MP. It has lain abandoned since the 1960s after the owner couldn't be bothered to repair the dry rot.
I'm not sure who the new owner is.

Love'n'Peace.
SP

You can read more about the recent history etc on BAR - http://www.buildingsatrisk.org.uk/B...NOWN&whs=Any&conser=Any&name=balintore&Page=1

Basically, the more recent history is that, after laying empty and falling apart for years, it was bought in the 90s by a wealthy Taiwanese businessman who never touched it or went there. The council tried to get in touch with him and his lawyers etc for ages to no avail, then reclaimed it under a compulsory purchase order to sell it to someone who will secure its future. AFAIK.

It is a fantastic place
DSCF1403Small.jpg

Latest posts

Back