Whittingham Hospital April 2008

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flaxington

Reaction score
Some pictures of Whittingham, mainly of Cameron House. My first set of photos on this website, go easy with me. This place is sadly ready for the developers. All the vegetation surrounding the hospital has been removed, thus most of the ground cover has gone, as has that wonderful overgrown look. The old nursing accomodation block has had metal shutters placed on every window. It really is the end for this explore. Here is some pics that you may or may not have seen, including one of the live section of the hospital that I had often heard but had never seen.

part of the lawns or the old superintendant's house with vegitation removed in background
img0783az0.jpg

img0759ug8.jpg

img0760vf0.jpg

Inside Cameron House, which a former nurse told me was where the medical staff mainly worked, I found what looked like the dentists and what was left of the pharmacy.

this is the often photographed mosaic in context

img0791mosaicnd9.jpg

Upstairs part of the pharmacy, a guess- as i found lots of bottles downstairs

img0803upperwidowchoutsnm3.jpg

part of the dentists
img0796dentistsdentalou2.jpg

img0809newbchnewbuildbo1.jpg

perhaps this was a library?
img0810librarychlibrarydc1.jpg

one of the corridors linking up the buildings in cameron house

img0815corchnewbuildkc6.jpg

as promised the live bit, the works yard
img0825worksdeptworksid0.jpg

goodbye whittingham, from the south

img0826outsideawayad0.jpg

Last edited:
The joy of Cameron house! first Accute hospital in England and opened 1899 with a high staff to patient ratio the Commissioners of Lunacy were most pleased, not so much nowadays.

The upstairs where the path' labs which whittingham was also used in reaserch and contained the first part of the Whittingham museum of pathological samples again the Commissioners loved it

Looks far better during the day, how much if it is going to be demo'd?

Looks far better during the day, how much if it is going to be demo'd?

As far as I am aware they are only keeping the Admin building and two front wards to the left and also two front wards to the right.

As far as I am aware they are only keeping the Admin building and two front wards to the left and also two front wards to the right.

Although the way Taylor Wimpy is going with their shares collasping by 90%, there may well be nothing going on for a bit.

Great first report KB :)

Missed this one first time round! :eek:

That mosaic floor looks amazing :cool:
Like the last picture too. A good selection. The outside architecture reminds me of Cane Hill in some ways.
Thanks for sharing.

Lb:jimlad:

Same architect.:)

Err... no.
Whittingham hospital's principal architect was Henry Litler, Cane Hill's was Charles H. Howell. Howell hasn't been attributed with any asylum works for the Lancaster County Council or the Lancashire Asylums Board whatsoever.

Pete

Latest posts

Back