Leamington Spa Town Outskirts With a Pentax ME Film Camera - First Report

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi there, and welcome to my first report based in my hometown of Leamington Spa based in Warwickshire in the West Midlands UK.

This report is not huge due to it being my first report. I have not done a huge amount of this kind of photography so unfortunately this report is not as rich as I wanted it to be and contains only street graffiti which I realise isn't very interesting. But I had to start somewhere I guess.

My report starts with a few years ago I was given a few rolls of black and white film and a choice of film cameras, I picked what I think was a Pentax ME. This report was based on the outskirts of Leamington Spa where I found a few hidden gems to photograph. I will show these to you now, they were all lightly edited from the negative hence quality close up has much to be desired.

Here was what looked like a dumping ground for peoples stuff and what originally looked like foundations of a huge building. This first image shows the outer concrete wall that it was surrounded by.

Leamington Spa by Sean Taylor UK, on Flickr

Here again more layering of paint and a roller that was like that when I got there.

Leamington Spa 5 by Sean Taylor UK, on Flickr

Again I liked the use of language used by the 'vandal' even writing appearing on the chair.

Leamington Spa 2 by Sean Taylor UK, on Flickr

This was in the middle of this area and had a mini computer perched on the metal pipes.

Leamington Spa 4 by Sean Taylor UK, on Flickr

This last negative was captured away from the site next to the railway bridge close to Warwickshire College Leamington Spa.

Leamington Spa 3 by Sean Taylor UK, on Flickr

I hope you like what I had to show being a newcomer on the site I am currently looking to start my urban exploration by looking at churches. So if you know any good churches around the UK please let me know.

Thanks
Sean Taylor

Last edited:
Yes!!! The ME super.... One of my favourites and the centre piece of my film cameras.

image by dajoolzcat, on Flickr

I had an ME Super and still have it in the loft. You make me wantto pop out and have a go withit again. :)

Go on, you know you want to...... Night crawler.

Nice shots Sean :)

Night Crawler definitely use it! you can learn so much from film cameras! These images were one of the first attempts I had of processing a film in the dark room. There were loads more other pictures but because I was clumsy back then they were scratched and unusable =/
Thanks for the kind words though! definitely pop a black and white film in there!

Wow catmandoo are all those yours?! do they still work and do you still use them?! also thanks for the kind words =)

Sean, they certainly are all mine and working, in which I use daily (a lot more than digital in fact) and so does my 4 year old daughter.
I have loads on film undeveloped STILL from explores and treks from years ago. I have everything I need to dev & scan HP5, just ran out of chems currently. Plus 3 children slow that process down in finding time for this. :)

The results and images on here from digital are mind blowing! And I would be liar if I said I didn't love my D7000. There are some seriously good images produced by members on here. I'd love to see more film being used though, so I take my hat off to you Sean.
These days, I'm more of a photographer than an explorer now. A camera can always be carried around, an explore cannot always be done. Which is why I look on here in jealousy and appreciation in what everyone achieves, regardless what camera of choice. The places to see are becoming ever so more available.

What I will say, is that film can be difficult in very low light conditions, exposure times, reciprocity failure, etc. it's hard work.... But when it comes together, not only is it an achievement to get to the place of choice and mooch around, it's also an achievement that you've understood the aspects and principals behind the object in which you are taking the photo on.

Film is not dead :)

Night Crawler definitely use it! you can learn so much from film cameras! These images were one of the first attempts I had of processing a film in the dark room. There were loads more other pictures but because I was clumsy back then they were scratched and unusable =/
Thanks for the kind words though! definitely pop a black and white film in there!

A large number of members here are old enough to have mostly used film rather than digital cameras. ;)

Wow I am very envious of your film camera collection then! very impressive! the curiosity as to whats on those rolls of films! You should develop one film every 2 weeks or something and do it gradually if you find the time too of course there could be serious gems on there! and stuff that documents buildings places that are no longer there! would be really interesting!

There are phenomenal images on here, I don't think I have yet to come across a report that I have not liked yet. Everyones interpretations are really interesting! I don't know right I guess I just like the feel of a film camera and trying to figure out whats best for what is infront of you, somewhat lacks in digital where most is over ridden through electronics. I guess the authentic nature is somewhat like the nature of reading a physical book against reading the same thing through a screen in a sense. The lack of physical process I guess is missing from the remarkable digital cameras we have now even though you can do it manually its just not really the same.

A large number of members here are old enough to have mostly used film rather than digital cameras. ;)

Oh yes

5179319824_43baf1e39d_z.jpg

Latest posts

Back