North Downs Home Guard re-enactment

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cptpies

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Reaction score
This is an annual event set up by the national trust in conjunction with the PSG and well worth attending. The Home Guard re-enactors set up the pillboxes and their weapons as they would have been 70 years ago and then spend about 10 minutes blowing off a whole lot of blank ammunition at the imaginary Fritzes toiling up the hill:).

Type 24 with camo netting (S0010655)
4638975661_9fa4942690_b.jpg

4639582022_8c4dde0ab6_b.jpg

Inside the Bren is set up correctly along with period accoutrements.
4638971237_9435bbd773_b.jpg

4638969147_21b356ea37_b.jpg

Another T24 with netting (S0010654)
4639567734_8fc230376c_b.jpg

Gunpits
4639570006_6809cbac5f_b.jpg

4638955051_8ab64d4c7c_b.jpg

A better view of the Boyes AT rifle, it was LOUD!
4638950831_3ae5facbd8_b.jpg

4638948439_cfcab6c1a5_b.jpg

Other PB's in the vicinity (S0010656) T24 with no front embrasure
4639553438_c020a1a1ae_b.jpg

4638946529_c82852eff4_b.jpg

4638942305_b7ac39a9de_b.jpg

4639550002_fea9872347_b.jpg

S0015858 on the road up the hill.
4638939773_a1eba88104_b.jpg

S0012328 with staggered embrasures.
4639588404_274f8aa43e_b.jpg

4639592010_db38fc510d_b.jpg

A cracking day out that even the Mrs enjoyed! She's a sucker for uniforms.
4639565540_4acc300792_b.jpg

Think I have seen these photo's before or at least similar ones. Good to see what they would have looked like in use.

Think I have seen these photo's before or at least similar ones. Good to see what they would have looked like in use.

They've been sitting on my flickr page since May, similar ones have been posted by others on the PSG forum too.

Fantastic! I'd love to see something like this. Hell, I'd love to be part of something like this. :mrgreen:
Cheers for posting, Cpt. :)

I'm part of something like that, just search for ww2 living history or reenactment groups.

Its fun and keeps me off street cornes :)

That's the one. The location is actually a mile or two west of Denbies vinyard and Box Hill.

Really good to see these relics being brought to life. I'm inspired now to go have a look at a few boxes that are just up the road from me. :)

The Bren Gun set up is very impressive.

How effective would the Boyes have been against a tank?

Effective against Soviet T26 tanks and light APCs, useless against any german tanks.

Effective against Soviet T26 tanks and light APCs, useless against any german tanks.

I thought as much. How was it considered that something that looks like a rifle could disable a tank. :question:

It does look a bit like a Barrett 50 sniper rifle however.

Must get up to that next time its on. Perhaps if you know in advance you could give us a heads up cptpies:)

Will do godzilla

Effective against Soviet T26 tanks and light APCs, useless against any german tanks

Actually it was effective against most of the axis armour it would have faced in an early invasion, like the Pzkfw I & II which still made up the bulk of the German panzer divisions. But it was considered obsolete by the end of 1941. However the soviets still used their AT rifles throughout the war for plinking APC's and armoured cars, by which time we'd switched to the PIAT.

Will do godzilla

Actually it was effective against most of the axis armour it would have faced in an early invasion, like the Pzkfw I & II which still made up the bulk of the German panzer divisions. But it was considered obsolete by the end of 1941. However the soviets still used their AT rifles throughout the war for plinking APC's and armoured cars, by which time we'd switched to the PIAT.

Not sure where you got that info from but it's wholly inaccurate ;)

North downs pill box event

This is old news, Dozens of photographs and a very good article appeared on the first re enactment on the Pillbox Study Group website back last September. The second event took place in May and was featured on the Pillbox Study Group forum with additional pictures and information.
The Event along with the re enacters, The National Trust [who organised the event] and the Pillbox Study Group got further recognision in "Britain at War" magazine as well as the event appearing on the British Forces television.
See
http://www.pillbox-study-group.org.uk/denbiesreenactmentpage.htm
and
http://pillboxstudygroup.freeforums.org/another-great-north-downs-pillbox-day-t121.html

lots of info on the capabilities or not (whichever way you look at it ) of the Boyes Anti Tank Rifle on the net.........seems to me like it could be effective against the 'between the wars' light tanks and armoured cars but once up against serious armour by 1941/42 it was more or less useless.....like a few of the articles do say though...it did make one helluva a sniper rifle if you could handle it and was also effective against engine blocks as a means to stop trucks & cars etc.........mind you... its worth noting that due to its savage kick and also the incredible noise, Aussie troops that used it knew it as 'Charlie the bastard' and American Troops knew it as 'the elephant gun'......:)

Not sure where you got that info from but it's wholly inaccurate ;)

I suppose it depends on your definition of effective. To be precise it could penetrate the armour of the Pzkfw I & II. It probably wouldn't do much more than cause this light armour to back off or at best immobilise it. With the heavier armour of the Pzkfw III's and IV's it might have made a dent.

I suppose it depends on your definition of effective. To be precise it could penetrate the armour of the Pzkfw I & II. It probably wouldn't do much more than cause this light armour to back off or at best immobilise it. With the heavier armour of the Pzkfw III's and IV's it might have made a dent.

Yeah you're right, it might have caused damage but it would mostly be down to the luck of where you hit.

Back