C.F.booths Rotherham scrap yard

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phill.d

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Reaction score
I had a look at the daddy of all scrap yards recently.
C.F.Booths at Rotherham, It's an amazing and massive site for sure :mrgreen:
3632386113_b20a5ec95d.jpg

The yard has it's own rail sidings connected to the mainline.
Most trains are delivered to the yard by low loader these days though.

The loco starage yard is on the right of the Google image.
The line up of locos in the middle are in the stripping area. Once all reuseable parts are removed the locos get towed to the cutting area.
Withdrawn engines can languish for years in sidings on the rail network, once they move to Booths there cut up within weeks of arrival.
3622361556_430e3c0fb6.jpg

GROWLER POWER!

The unmistakeable profile of an English Electric class 37, languishes in the sidings at C.F Booth breakers yard in Rotherham.
Thankfully it's not quite the end of the road for the veteran engine.
37046 has been secured for preservation on a heritage railway.
The class 37's were built from 1960-1965 they remained solid workhorses until 2004.

The floodlights of Rotherham football club can be seen in this shot!

3632372895_b4bce80028.jpg

THE REAPER COMETH!

37798 and 37692 have only days to live!
The scrapman prepares them for there final date with the cutters torch.
The maintenance hatches are up, all reuseable parts have been stripped by this time.
These veteran workhorses will soon be reduced to piles of twisted scrap metal
3622357060_cc797d5a94.jpg

3621528845_9100f23a88.jpg

37692 No2 end.
3621526081_9dd77c3831.jpg

3621522701_825ec64a42.jpg

A classic feature of the early English Electric locomotives was the raked back windows and nose end style.
The nose hatches of 37692 have been lifted while it is stripped of any valueable parts.
3622336676_b3ae60e925.jpg

3621513797_947ba12433.jpg

37798 and 37692 at Booths after arriving from Margam depot.
3622323514_bc3c22dc6e.jpg

3633193356_5ed7896c4b.jpg

3622299270_12ae90ff24.jpg

Class 117 units in the cutting area.
3622312506_0d04401642.jpg

Soon to be reduced to a twisted pile of scrap metal.
Probably reincarnated into cars and fridges!
3622287738_018871d60c.jpg

The shunter storage yard with 08510, 08955 and 08919 stand in the storage yard.
08919 has been bought for preservation
3621456007_f62e5b15da.jpg

A nice surprise was to find a shunter still in B.R blue livery.
Even better to see it was 08510.
I remember this shunter been allocated to Holbeck depot in Leeds in the early 1980's.
3622279834_90cda0652c.jpg

3621452823_05b7e928f9.jpg

3632378483_18e62d2f79.jpg

3621474379_49f88aa8ee.jpg

Booths have 4 or 5 of there own shunters they use to move locos and coaching stock around the yard.
The mainline connection is a little further under the bridge.
It has a 'derailment catch point' only operable by Network rail.
No doubt they don't these little shunters trundling along the East coast main line by mistake :mrgreen:
3621477263_568e6b4084.jpg

I have a thing for painted 'Hazard lines' They look good.
I couldn't resist this colourful little chap.
I forget his name, but one was called 'Little Blue' :)

I have a load more scrap loco pics here

http://www.flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/sets/72157613018688055/detail/

Last edited:
Sweet. Seeing as you went on the Saturday I guess you paid to get in and had a tour. Maybe worth mentioning in your original post, eh?

Excellent posting Phill.Really sorry to see 37692 being prepared to be ripped apart.We,the drivers,at Didcot EWs depot paid to get the Didcot Depot "nameplates"made for her when she was allocated to our sandite duties a few years back.!!!

A fine collection of photos – also liking the strong colours. :)

Thanks Guys!

Inveigh you can go on a Saturday morning.
You need a hi viz and boots.
You stick a donation in the 'charity box' lol.

Check out there site for details :mrgreen:

Last edited:
Sweet. Seeing as you went on the Saturday I guess you paid to get in and had a tour. Maybe worth mentioning in your original post, eh?

Does it really matter whether you go on a tour, an open day, or over a wall? Not really lol.

Excellent pics mate, I love anything to do with the railways. No doubt I may even find some that started out life after being tested at SHirebrook. The only depot in the country that didn't allow trainspotters on the premises. :) Used to spend hours in the engine shed when dad worked at the Shirebrook Depot. Such a shame to see them all lined up ready to be scrapped.

Cheers, I didn't know you were allowed to walk around here on the weekend. Fairygirl would love this, she loves trains too. :)

:) Sal

Does it really matter whether you go on a tour, an open day, or over a wall? Not really lol.

Excellent pics mate, I love anything to do with the railways. No doubt I may even find some that started out life after being tested at SHirebrook. The only depot in the country that didn't allow trainspotters on the premises. :) Used to spend hours in the engine shed when dad worked at the Shirebrook Depot. Such a shame to see them all lined up ready to be scrapped.

Cheers, I didn't know you were allowed to walk around here on the weekend. Fairygirl would love this, she loves trains too. :)

:) Sal
Thanks Sal.
I'm glad you picked up on that too.
I did wonder why that guy seemed to have some issue with my post.

Enjoy your trainspotting stuff too lol :)

Thanks Sal.
I'm glad you picked up on that too.
I did wonder why that guy seemed to have some issue with my post.

I didn't think it sounded like he was having a go... If you had put in your post that you can go on a Saturday and poke around that would have been information I would have liked to hear also..

I didn't think it sounded like he was having a go... If you had put in your post that you can go on a Saturday and poke around that would have been information I would have liked to hear also..

No i just wondered that's all.
I never mentioned about going any day.
Yet he still knew i went on Saturday. The only way he could have known that is... if he followed my link back to my other stuff and went to some trouble to read my EXIF data.
I just wondered why he did that?

No i just wondered that's all.
I never mentioned about going any day.
Yet he still knew i went on Saturday. The only way he could have known that is... if he followed my link back to my other stuff and went to some trouble to read my EXIF data.
I just wondered why he did that?

Chill out man. I wasn't having a go. This company open their gates to people *only* on Saturday mornings. They're a serious business - they don't have to. If they get loadsa people turning up on weekdays trying to look round, or trying to hop over their massive walls then they're gunna get mega pissed off; and then maybe stop the Saturday thing altogher. I just thought it woulda been a good thing to mention somewhere. :confused:

Chill out man. I wasn't having a go. This company open their gates to people *only* on Saturday mornings. They're a serious business - they don't have to. If they get loadsa people turning up on weekdays trying to look round, or trying to hop over their massive walls then they're gunna get mega pissed off; and then maybe stop the Saturday thing altogher. I just thought it woulda been a good thing to mention somewhere. :confused:

Well as you've said yourself about Booths been a serious business.
I never advertised anything as there is nothing official to say.
There is no big secret about Booths!

I found out about the place on Derelict places myself.
I posted a report for people to look at.
We have p.m facility if folk are interested more.

Last edited:
Hey Boys CHILL OUT !!!
I've got to agree with Phill,i think the way Dab worded his post it SEEMED like he was having a rant !! Which he obviously wasn't !!! SO--all's well that ends well and they both skipped off merrily into the sunset(although probably not holding hands !!):)

great shots as always Phil, thanks for posting..

Must admit, I was open to the idea of a bit of wall jumping after seeing the pics, but now I've listened to this whole argument, sorry , i mean pleasant discussion, I'll just pop along some saturday morning instead! Thanks for the info folks, interesting stuff...

Back