Sands Residential Care Home

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

highcannons

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Reaction score
Sands Residential Care Home - a short report.
The Sands Residential care home was boarded up in May 2007 when it closed. More informally known by residents as 'the blot on the landscape' it consists of Regency period buildings built around 1830 which were grade 2 listed in May 1986. At that time the listing tells us Number 5 was a care home for blind eldery persons, number 6 and number 7 had three flats each.

At some time the care home expanded to take in all of the buildings. The asking price is somewhere around £1m and planning permission for coversion into 12 apartments has been granted.

Google Street View image.
a.png

The buildings which are numbers 5,6 & 7 although on Marine Parade opposite the seafront are actually Bath Terrace, no doubt named to be evocative of Bath proper.

Some residence were, Lady Mary Renshaw at number 6, a Mrs Colonel Anderson number 6 during 1870 during which time an Alfred Benson Griffiths Esq. was resident at number 7. Confusingly the internet tells us Instow Private Hotel (c.Clarke prop.) was at number 4 which later became the earliest Sands Residential Home. Perhaps they moved next door?

2.png

Plants might come up!
1.png

I am afraid there seemed to be no interior access although someone a bit more slim and slippery than I probably would do better. I would be interested to see shots were anybody to do so!

9.png

8.png

7.png

When I saw this I could easily imagine an old chap sitting in the bright May sunshine with a little shade from the Honeysuckle just before the care home closed.
6.png

5.png

4.png

3.png

Thanks for looking.
HC

“Someone a bit more slim and slippery” Not me then HC:lol:, nice report and pics I enjoyed it, Thanks

He he, know what you mean! I have known about this place for a while but havn't been able to do anything much about a good report. Decided to post what I could. I would rather see pictures of the interior by someone else than not at all. It's dead easy to find too.......:)

Do you think someone will take the hint?

Latest posts

Back