The Church Explorer's Handbook

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Foxylady

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Reaction score
Exactly as it says on the tin, but not really an urbex book. But, if you like churches or want to know more about the derelict churches you find, it has excellent references. And, there are references to derelict/deconsecrated churches, too. Contents include basic church design and architecture, internal features, what to look out for in the churchyard, and has a listing of over a thousand churches.

I found it in the library last week and I love it. Interesting and useful. Enjoy! :)

The Church Explorer's Handbook
by Clive fewins
ISBN 1-85311-622-X

Hiya Foxy! Nice to see you back M.Dear! That book sounds excellent, we have a Plethora of Abandoned Churches here in Carrot Land. I will have to have a Library search for that one!, thanks for sharing and Best Wishes.:)

Where have you been? I was about to send out a search party.

:lol: Long story! I just had to stop the world and get off for a bit to sort out something important for myself! I'm not properly back, but will be looking in from time to time. :mrgreen:
Thanks, Rich, and thanks for the comments, guys. :)

Shatters, there are some from Cumbria in the gazeteer.

Seahorse, it's supposed to be all of Britain but it is mostly England. There is an appendix of a small listing of churches in Scotland, including the Italian Chapel on Orkney and Rosslyn Chapel (just watched The DaVinci Code again, so that was uppermost in mind! Lol).

The authors favourite ones seem to be concentrated in the West/West midlands/East counties, although there are plenty elsewhere too. There are some gorgeous ones here in East Devon that he's missed out, but according to the book there are over 16,000 parish churches countrywide!

Cheers. :)

Latest posts

Back