Rugby Cement, Southam Works, April 2010

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sj9966

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Reaction score
The Rugby Cement Works at Southam in Warwickshire has not produced cement since the late nineties, the site is now owned by Cemex who have applied to use the quarry as a landfil site.
A small part of the site is still in use but the cement production plant has been derelict for a number of years now. It is part demolished and from what I could see it looks like work is underway to demolish the rest.
I have vivid memories of this place when it was in full swing as I used to fish the lake just north of the works back in the eighties. The works were very noisy 24-7 back then and there were trucks in and out constantly.

I was first here about a year ago but that was during the week and there was a lot of activity on site so I did not see a lot, I was back here a few weeks ago but didnt make it through the mud on the way in. It has always been a walk in site but that was not the case this time, upon arrival I was greeted by a brand new triple pronged fence. Undetered I pressed on and found another way in, which to be honest was not too difficult. I could not help but think that the money spent on the new fence was wasted cash.

There is still plenty to see on site with loads of stuff left behind and no vandalism or pikey damage, I am surprised that it has not had more attention from explorers.

There is cctv and security on site, although I dont think that they patrol the works too often as I had a good 4 hours there and had no problems.

Looking out over the lake the works dominate the skyline.

P1030486.jpg

The shiny new fence

P1030479.jpg

Onsite

P1030468.jpg

P1030447.jpg

P1030469.jpg

P1030095.jpg

P1030104.jpg

P1030216.jpg

P1030223.jpg

P1030249.jpg

P1030321.jpg

P1030343.jpg

P1030409.jpg

P1030472.jpg

A couple of HDR

P1030365_66_68_69_70_tonemapped.jpg

P1030365_tonemapped.jpg

I just live a couple of miles away and visit regularly. Not generally in the winter though as the cement slurry makes it a pretty miserable explore. It's so vast, I always find bits i've never been to.

There's more pictures on another thread on here somewhere.

Security has gradually been increased over the last couple of years as there are plans to build some sort of incinerator on the site. Still pretty safe at weekends though.

That new fence is very new. I was there about 6 weeks ago and they hadn't even started it. They (Cemex) have put similar fences up at their other two sites in the area.

Latest posts

Back