Scottish Mining Website

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One page I have read is a bit grim but interesting...

http://www.scottishmining.co.uk/344.html

Enjoy,
Celo :)

It does make grim reading doesn't it - particularly when you look at the age (or lack of ) of many of the casualties. That's the part of Scotland where I was born and brought up and many of those pits were still working when I was a boy so there is an added fascination in reading that page.

J

It does make grim reading doesn't it - particularly when you look at the age (or lack of ) of many of the casualties. That's the part of Scotland where I was born and brought up and many of those pits were still working when I was a boy so there is an added fascination in reading that page.
J

Yeah, I think showing this site during my history lessons in school would have made it a lot more "real" my old history teacher used to have this way of making everything seem fictitious, this really hit's it home how real and tough things were!

Celo

Yeah, I think showing this site during my history lessons in school would have made it a lot more "real" my old history teacher used to have this way of making everything seem fictitious, this really hit's it home how real and tough things were!

Celo

It really begins to make you realise why the miners lived in such close communities and had the tendency to regard themselves as a "breed apart". I know there were plenty of other jobs in those days that were dangerous, but there was something uniquely so about mining - there were no second chances.

When I was at school in Dollar in the early 60s, our geography master organised for the class to visit Dollar Mine which was in the last couple of years of its operational life at the time. We were allowed to go underground and watch coal cutting operations going on at the face - I think that, at that time, it was just about the scariest thing I'd ever done in my life. I later worked in the roadstone quarries but I never lost my respect for the miners.

J

I remember the Limestone mine at cults making an appearance on here:
19 October 1927

Cults Mining Fatality.—A fall of lime at Cults Lime Works yesterday resulted in one miner being killed and another severely injured. John Petrie (28), miner, who was killed, was married, and leaves a widow and two children, William Lindsay , the second man involved in the accident, was convoyed to Dundee Royal Infirmary, suffering from a broken left thigh, head injuries, and shock. It is estimated that over five tons of stone and metal fell. Over 80 men are employed at Cults Lime Works, which are on the estate of Lord Cochrane of Cults, and are about five miles from Cupar. About 20 of the men are employed underground . Lindsay's occupation was that of filling the waggons, while the actual cutting operations were carried out by Petrie., It is impossible to foretell a fall of this kind. In coal mines there are generally loud cracks, which frequently give the men tim to make their escape. In this case, however, the roof would fall without the .slightest warning. When the fall took place, Petrie was jammed by a hugs stone against the side of the level. [Scotsman 20 October 1927]

Latest posts

Back