London Rooftop - Guy Fawkes Night

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UrbanX

Moderate Moderator
Reaction score
It’s November 5th. I’m stood at the base of the houses of parliament, cloaked in a dark hood to fend off the bitter weather. I start to imagine how Mr Fawkes would have felt as he stood on this very spot, exactly 409 years ago to the day.

Months of plotting had led him to be here, hiding 36 barrels of gunpowder from vagabonds and the authorities. I had only spent a few minutes in the plotting phase, but am now trying to hide my expensive camera from vagabonds and the authorities. Which is proving difficult because tonight thousands of protesters in Guy Fawkes masks are swarming the square, along with 600 riot police.

Seventeen storeys above me looms a beautiful flat roof. It stands directly opposite Big Ben, just slightly higher than the clock face, with views across parliament, the river, and the city at large. In front of this building however is about a dozen of the Metropolitans Police officers…

Despite feeling quite nervous, I start walking with confidence towards them. I try and avoid eye contact by pretending to read one of the many dot matrix signs erected along the police line. “NO CLIMBING ON BUILDINGS OR MONUMENTS”.

photo1_zps0a03532d.jpg

My hand grips an ice cold steel beam as I pull myself up the final couple of feet onto the roof deck. The freezing night air buffets my ear drums creating a uniform white noise punctuated only by the drone of approaching sirens. I look downwards to try and prevent my hair whipping in my eyes; ground level is a sea of hi-viz bathed in swirling blue lights I spot the yellow dot matrix sign blinking away, still insisting me not to climb any buildings…

Thanks for reading.

IMG_7657-Copy_zps812693b4.jpg

IMG_7626_zps3d8132b9.jpg

IMG_7638_zpsb4c8bb51.jpg

Sat against the warm extract from the kitchen, they were cooking curry:

IMG_7640_zps78b039f8.jpg

IMG_7643_zps5c5bddb1.jpg

IMG_7642_zps2be27c30.jpg

IMG_7644_zpsbceeb483.jpg

IMG_7646_zps789d73bc.jpg

IMG_7648_zpsd4848b1c.jpg

IMG_7654_zps6e0ea540.jpg

IMG_7664_zps9a2df416.jpg

IMG_7680-Censored_zpsea7f6a51.jpg
UrbanX, Mr Dan, Priority7, Sweetpea, Dirty Jigsaw.

Thanks for looking.

Wot, no fireworks? :)
Lol, OMJ messaged me that soon after I posted them on Friendface! There was the occasional rocket going off a mile or so away but nothing consistent. All the displays were at like 18:30 when I was still well outside London.

Thank you all so much for your lovely comments tho. I really didn't expect such a lovely reception! :)

Well done! The pics are beautiful!
London is a city that I hope to get to see one day. Where I'm from we used to celebrate Guy Fawkes night too with a big bonfire. Unfortunately where I am living now, that's impossible to do, and I miss it.

Latest posts

Back