Dr Barnardos Castle - March 2014

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mockingbird

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Reaction score
Mockingbird takes flight down memory lane

The first time I explored here it was back in 2011, back then explorers called the place dark, disgusting, eerie, it was certainly the worse side to its "twin" Lillesden School down the road, who many explorers preferred, over time of course since Dr Barnardos / Babies Castle had been abandoned it suffered a great deal within a few months, I never saw it in its top clean condition, so I was used to the dark corridors and rooms, the rotting floors, the disgusting walls and whatever other unmentionables that lurked around here, but today I felt like a trip lets see how its handled since I last came here...

So what is the place like now?

Disgusting? - Yes.
Dangerous? - Certainly is.
Isolated? - Like being in a cardboard box.
Rotten? - Probably the worst place I have seen, so far in my urbex travels, but has not changed much!

Dr Barnardos has never done very well on the forums, I guess with Lillesden overshadowing this place, its understandable, yet I guess it comes down to personal opinion, this place has it all mind you, decay everywhere you look, the upstairs coming downstairs, the downstairs going to a bottomless pit, one room in particular was soaked and flooded, so it even has an inside swimming pool for the unlikely folk who dont take a torch, of course a torch would be recommended as this place is certainly a death trap, a glum shadow of its former self, but one place I have always liked despite the fact you feel very alone while walking around.

I easily spent over an hour inside here before work, the sun was out and I felt like a small adventure, it was rather peaceful and relaxing, despite its sorrowful state but im still surprised its explore worthy, but as I said its personal choice on this place, you either love it or you hate it - hopefully maybe one of my shots you will love, which could cast this once beautiful building another visitor.

Some history below!

The Babies Castle was officially opened on 9th August 1886 this institution was for the reception of babies. In 1908 Babies Castle became a mixed home for children under eight years of age. It was particularly used for babies and young children who, owing to their physical condition, were not suited for boarding out.

On the 21st September 1927 the new extension that had been built was officially opened another outstanding event of that year was the installation of a wireless set which was used for the first time on Christmas Day when the older children listened to the Children's Service.

In 1964 The Babies Castle was listed as a Nursery with 48 places which was a vast reduction from the early days, Babies Castle closed, in 1965. It has now been re-named, appropriately enough, 'Hawkhurst Castle', after the nearby village of the same name and operates as a private nursing home for the elderly, under the direction of Kent County Council. The two houses which formed the original Babies Castle were, at a later date, to become the Matron's House. They were used as administrative offices for the nursing home next door, it offically closed and sold up in 2005 when brought by property developers since then its been on and off sale a fair few times, with no offers yet.

Enjoy!!!

IMGP5320 by urbexmockingbird, on Flickr

IMGP5204 by urbexmockingbird, on Flickr

IMGP5203 by urbexmockingbird, on Flickr

IMGP5238 by urbexmockingbird, on Flickr

IMGP520910021 by urbexmockingbird, on Flickr

IMGP5201 by urbexmockingbird, on Flickr

IMGP5200 by urbexmockingbird, on Flickr

IMGP5197 by urbexmockingbird, on Flickr

IMGP5259 by urbexmockingbird, on Flickr

IMGP5266 by urbexmockingbird, on Flickr

IMGP5256 by urbexmockingbird, on Flickr

IMGP5254 by urbexmockingbird, on Flickr

IMGP5265 by urbexmockingbird, on Flickr

IMGP5260 by urbexmockingbird, on Flickr

IMGP5309 by urbexmockingbird, on Flickr

IMGP5288 by urbexmockingbird, on Flickr

IMGP5283 by urbexmockingbird, on Flickr

IMGP5292 by urbexmockingbird, on Flickr

IMGP5287 by urbexmockingbird, on Flickr

IMGP5223 by urbexmockingbird, on Flickr

Cheers for looking and getting this far Mockingbird!

Thanks everyone! glad this is going down well as I stated babies castle reports dont do to well, im also rather chuffed that ive made this place look appealing to some of you, that was not my intention but I shall take it ;)

Loved this. . Such an eerie looking place (forgive the daily mail terminology) you've certainly sold it to me with your excellent shots. Lots of decay amongs belongings great report mb

Last edited:
Great work in that your shots make the place look so good, whereas it really isn't - the exterior promises so much but the inside is just nasty.

Latest posts

Back