Kenmure Castle

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tumble112

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Reaction score
This site has seen various fortified buildings since the early Middle Ages, some historians think it may even have been the home of the Lords of Galloway, rulers of an independent Irish speaking Kingdom. It would have been an important fortress as it is relatively close to where the frontier with the Welsh speaking Kingdom of Strathclyde would have been.
The site later passed into ownership of the powerful Balliol family and Kng John Balliol is thought to have been born here. After the Balliols fled to France, the castle passed into ownership of the Gordon family in 1298 and they would own it until the early 20th century. During the civil war, the Gordons supported Charles I and the castle was besieged and damaged by a Cromwellian army. By the late 18th century the castle was a ruin. The poet Robert Burns visited during his tour of Galloway.
During the late 1800's the Gordons rebuilt the castle as a baronal style mansion house which incorporated much of the old building. The grey harling was added at this time which gives the building an unusual appearance.
In the 1920's the castle became a luxury hotel which closed in the 1950's and was sold to a scrap merchant who stripped the building and removed the roof in 1958.
More pictures here https://www.flickr.com/photos/107793356@N06/sets/72157644219441756/

13993874535_40a14e99c9_b.jpg
001 by tumble112, on Flickr
13993858115_ca79f9945c_b.jpg
003 by tumble112, on Flickr
14013847463_ecefb74390_b.jpg
004 by tumble112, on Flickr
13990630782_a4c399444c_b.jpg
007 by tumble112, on Flickr

Gordon coat of arms
14013821323_4c5d16a9aa_b.jpg
008 by tumble112, on Flickr
13994243714_9ac3382288_b.jpg
010 by tumble112, on Flickr
13970668626_58d0eecef3_b.jpg
015 by tumble112, on Flickr
14014083413_00bc603efc_b.jpg
018 by tumble112, on Flickr
13990855602_3327bbfbff_b.jpg
021 by tumble112, on Flickr
13970870546_3388f13654_b.jpg
031 by tumble112, on Flickr
13990758692_f752318258_b.jpg
032 by tumble112, on Flickr

Gates to remains of a walled garden
13970803236_4329f8e007_b.jpg
038 by tumble112, on Flickr

Unusual stone beside the gates
14013913223_3e3134cda9_b.jpg
037 by tumble112, on Flickr

Hope you enjoyed, thanks for looking.

Yes, nicely recorded. I would point out that stripping the roof off was very common in the 1950's/60's. Leave the roof on an empty shell and the building was deemed habitable and thus rates had to be paid - a large amount on that building. Remove the roof and the building was classed as uninhabitable - thus rates not owed.

Yes, nicely recorded. I would point out that stripping the roof off was very common in the 1950's/60's. Leave the roof on an empty shell and the building was deemed habitable and thus rates had to be paid - a large amount on that building. Remove the roof and the building was classed as uninhabitable - thus rates not owed.

I have heard this before, I find it criminal though, such beauty being weathered away.

Nice documentation though.

I have heard this before, I find it criminal though, such beauty being weathered away.

Nice documentation though.

If you put it against the backdrop of the country almost going bankrupt paying crippling war reparations to the US and having to raises taxes through pretty much any way they could etc then it's not quite so criminal, but it is definitely sad. The heritage and preservation movement is a relatively new phenomenon off the back of that really.

If you put it against the backdrop of the country almost going bankrupt paying crippling war reparations to the US and having to raises taxes through pretty much any way they could etc then it's not quite so criminal, but it is definitely sad. The heritage and preservation movement is a relatively new phenomenon off the back of that really.

Don't worry I will keep it derelict related after this but as someone with a keen interest in history (in particular WW2), I think you have made a very valid point. Thanks for the kind comments though:)

I have heard this before, I find it criminal though, such beauty being weathered away..

Many of the picturesque mansion ruins we can see today were actually pretty foreboding and austere looking structures during their habitable years, Kenmure being no exception.

Krela is perfectly correct in connecting the demise of the Country House with the Country's financial state. However, as was the case after WW1, there was another reason families were forced to abandon these properties after WW2. At that time if an estate had been valued, the most valuable asset would have been bricks and mortar, unless the estate had huge land holdings - Farm land and grouse moors had a low monetary value. To escape death duties etc, many estates had been gifted to elder sons prior to war starting, sadly many of these young men did not survive the war. With the large house becoming a mill stone around the neck due to running and maintenance costs, you see other properties on the estate becoming the residence of the ageing owners - the old house either being demolished or being de-roofed to escape rates etc. Intriguingly in the mid 60's things had changed somewhat - the value of agricultural land was rising and the selling price of many country houses that were divorced from their lands had fallen drastically. As I have stated before, in 1965 four of us seriously considered buying a smallish country house just off the old A1 near Doncaster. Purchase and conversion into four apartments was well within our combined budget - what killed the project stone dead was the astronomical cost of completely re-roofing a place that was full of worm and dry rot. As no land came with the house, we had nothing to sell to fund the structural repairs. Still it was nice whilst the dream lasted, but gave me a clear insight into why owners of the large houses sometimes just walk away from the money pit the house became.

Krela is perfectly correct in connecting the demise of the Country House with the Country's financial state. However, as was the case after WW1, there was another reason families were forced to abandon these properties after WW2. At that time if an estate had been valued, the most valuable asset would have been bricks and mortar, unless the estate had huge land holdings - Farm land and grouse moors had a low monetary value. To escape death duties etc, many estates had been gifted to elder sons prior to war starting, sadly many of these young men did not survive the war. With the large house becoming a mill stone around the neck due to running and maintenance costs, you see other properties on the estate becoming the residence of the ageing owners - the old house either being demolished or being de-roofed to escape rates etc. Intriguingly in the mid 60's things had changed somewhat - the value of agricultural land was rising and the selling price of many country houses that were divorced from their lands had fallen drastically. As I have stated before, in 1965 four of us seriously considered buying a smallish country house just off the old A1 near Doncaster. Purchase and conversion into four apartments was well within our combined budget - what killed the project stone dead was the astronomical cost of completely re-roofing a place that was full of worm and dry rot. As no land came with the house, we had nothing to sell to fund the structural repairs. Still it was nice whilst the dream lasted, but gave me a clear insight into why owners of the large houses sometimes just walk away from the money pit the house became.

Yes I was talking specifically about roofs being removed. What you said above still stands now. As we've seen on this site there are many empty manor houses on the verge of becoming derelict, and many others struggling along as hotels/conference venues, or diversifying into other things as the estate alone cannot make enough money to cover the upkeep. There's even TV programs about how manor owners can stay afloat!

Back