Forgotten Army Tanks

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TK421

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Reaction score
Last week I visited Hovingham Spa Quarry in North Yorkshire, and when I got home and had another look at Google, the abandoned quarry next to the one I had visited had some unusual shapes near it, in a field. So off I set this morning to see what they were, and if you like old army tanks, how do you like these fellas:

Not sure of the type, I know nothing about tanks, I am sure someone on the forum will offer their expertise:

DSC_0043-1.jpg

DSC_0044.jpg

I felt it was probably safe to take this photo :mrgreen:

DSC_0046-2.jpg

Tracks:

DSC_0054-1.jpg

Hook:

DSC_0060-1.jpg

Light:

DSC_0049.jpg

Been here for a while:

DSC_0059-1.jpg

Number:

DSC_0051.jpg

DSC_0047-1.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Intresting find. I'm no expert but they look Easterg Bloc'ish to me.

Not sure of the type, I know nothing about tanks, I am sure someone on the forum will offer their expertise:

Nice find :)

I'm no expert on tanks either, but I'd say they're almost certainly the same Russian made PT76 model as found at RAF Upwood. I probably wouldn't have recognised them if you hadn't posted the detail of the towing hooks, which I contemplated photographing in exactly the same way at Upwood!

Last edited:
I wonder who you would have to speak to about rescuing one of those PT-76's.

Know just where it would fit, and one of them looks to be good condition :)

Phil

images

Just googled pt76 tanks and they do look like they are the same. Would love to have one of them in my back garden. Any idea who ownes them

Excellent find, TK. Love your photos, especially the close-ups.
I know nothing about tanks at all but would love one in my back garden too, except that I've only got a balcony! :confused::mrgreen:

i want a tank now lol ....... and yer was gettin inside possibel .. prob rusted solid ?

Hi all, glad you like my little find! The tanks are in a field, nearby was a corrugated shed, very well secured, but I could see some type of army landrover inside, I guess they are certainly owned by someone, but have not moved in a long while. Tried to see if I could get in but they would not budge:(

wow i also want one, they are less rusty than my car so just need a bit of a t-cut and you could be out there tail gating people before you know it:)

Nice find. I would love to know the story of these beasts. Where they've come and how they ended up there.

Can't really shed much light on how they came to get there, but when I showed a mate the pics, he picked up on the fact that the serial(?) numbers on the side aren't that far off the ones at RAF Upwood, so they probably came into the UK together for disposal.

When I was at Upwood last, I stood there staring at the big exhaust port things on the back wondering why the hell they were so big, and why they had hinged covers over them. Wasn't till I saw these and took a look at WIkipedia that I realised they were amphibious and used water jets for propulsion on the water. Would have loved to see one on the water!

Cheers Phil. I'd found pictures but didn't think to try youtube. I love being on the water, but I think I'd draw the line at trying it in 15 tons of tank :)

you wouldn't think they would float!

Why not? The designer has only to apply Archimedes Principle, and ensure that the free board is adequate for for the envisaged sea state/bow wave. It only required a canvas skirt on the Sherman to produce the DD (even if it was for a single one way journey), and that was on a tank not originally designed for any type of amphibious operation.

what a find, just sitting there in a clearing...

Tanks for sharing! :mrgreen:

Sorry, couldnt resist :lol:

Back