Church? (Bromsgrove) 2011

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

st33ly

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Reaction score
I found this building a while back whilst at college and always thought it looked interesting. It looks religious so I thought i'll stick it here.

Ive tried to find info on the place but not been able to find anything. All that i know of this building is on the last pic.

B1.jpg

B2.jpg

B3.jpg

B4.jpg

B5.jpg

B6.jpg

B7.jpg

Interesting sort of place. I'm thinking possibly an old Methodist chapel?

A

Alansworld;187105 I'm thinking possibly an old Methodist chapel?A[/QUOTE said:
You are correct in your assumption, in one of the photographs you can see what appears to be a balcony support - Balconies being a major feature in many Chapels built in this period. I would also expect there to be a school room attached to the back or side of the building. Education of the Chapel member's children was a major feature of the Movement and was not restricted to Religious studies - many Methodist children went on to do great things in their adult life only because of the education they received in these Chapel school rooms.

Sadly many have ended up like this example or demolished years ago. Rawdon where I live was the hotbed of the non - Conformist Movement at its start, old maps indicate seven Chapels within a two mile radius if my present cottage. The nearest was fifty yards up the road - now a house. Of the rest only one survives and is still a place of worship. Sadly all the others, which were an important part of the history of the Methodist movement were raised to the ground years ago. Burial grounds and the odd foundations in the woods being the only reminders - At the start, Chapels were built in out of the way places to avoid persecution/trouble.

Good one, if you had zoomed in on the plaque you would have seen what it was. Always a shame to see chaples get in sutch a state.

Thanks everyone for all that info :mrgreen:

I cannot believe that i didn't notice that plack near the top of the chapel. Im so blind

Latest posts

Back