Google Earth version 6

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcl

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Reaction score
There is now a newer version of Google Earth available for download.

The interesting parts are views from 1945 in some areas - unfortunately , here on the Island the censor hass been at work placing fields over most things - but it has allowed me to clear up one mystery.

'1945' aerial views for some areas have been there for a while but beware...they are from different sources and not necessarily 1945!

I noticed this a while back, I meant to flag it up but I forgot. It just appeared on mine, I didn't install a new version or anything.

You can't rely on the dates, or even the order, on the GE time slider. There's a quarry near here that shows up on the 2010 view but is filled in on the 2006 view, when in reality the opposite is true.

The way to see what's covered is to zoom out and move the slider to 1945, the covered squares are black and white. Although the images are not necessarily all from 1945 they are old enough to be useful and/or interesting.

It seem many of the "1945" images are actually pre war. I've been using them to track down the locations of HAA batteries and in a lot of cases the battery is present on the current imagery but not on the "1945" imagery. The date is not to be trusted.

Latest posts

Back