Hubberstone Fort, Pembrokeshire

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

silverstealth

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Reaction score
Hubberstone Fort

Construction Commenced 1860, Completed 1863, Cost £55,000.00

Coastal Defence Battery

Type - Dry

Guns 28 – 32

Used in WW11 as British Army Camp, and US Seabees Base

ARMAMENT

1870 Mounted 11 x 9 inch RML

Casemate Battery 9 x 9 inch RML
Open Battery 1 x 10 inch RML
8 x 9 inch RML
proposed 3 x 6 inch BL VII
1908 1 x 12pr QF

CAPONIERS 1

COUNTERSCARP GALLERIES 2

MONCRIEFF PITS 8

Technical History

Fort Hubberstone was approved by the Royal Commission of 1860 as part of the defences at Milford Haven. It was completed in that year as a nine gun installation. Work then began on the casemated battery, this being completed in 1863, as an eleven gun battery with a further eight guns on the terreplein and nine more in an open east flank battery. At the top of the site is a defensible barrack, approximately semi-circular with a high gorge wall. From the right hand corner of the barrack, a sunken way runs around the terrplein down to the casemates. The ditch in front of the barrack is protected by caponiers and a counterscarp gallery, the entrance to the work being over a drawbridge.

In August 1868, plans were approved for the alteration of the work to replace eight of the guns on the terreplein with eight guns in Moncrieff pits. Despite the ridiculous application of this type of gun in such a position the work was completed by 1872. The main gun casemates were armed with eleven 12-ton RML guns by 1872. By 1881 the open battery was re-armed with 10 inch RML guns and the fort was complete. In 1884 the infantry garrison was removed. In 1885 the three remaining Moncrieff guns were removed. In 1908 its sole armament was one 12 pr. QF gun in a practice battery. It was never upgraded with modern weapons and shortly after World War One it was abandoned.

It was sold in 1932. In 1939-45 it was used as a commercial air raid shelter, British Army Camp and US Seabees Base. From then on it has deteriorated into the condition shown in the pictures.

FrontEntrancesm.jpg

Damossm.jpg

samsm.jpg

toplevelsm.jpg

magazinesm.jpg

Barrackssm.jpg

TunnelVisionsm.jpg

passagesm.jpg

Hearthsm.jpg

OurHousesm.jpg

More at www.silverstealth.co.uk

They were going to convert it into posh flats a number of years ago, I guess this wont ever happen.

Did you take a look at the underground fuel depot behind tesco's I havent been down to Milford Haven for a number of years but would guess its still there?

Brixmis

They were going to convert it into posh flats a number of years ago, I guess this wont ever happen.

Did you take a look at the underground fuel depot behind tesco's I havent been down to Milford Haven for a number of years but would guess its still there?

Brixmis

No I will have a look for that the next time I am over that way.

Three brilliant reports from the area.
Very jealous of the Stack Rock one in particular.Last time I was in Scoveston I was with some of those rough boys from Neyland and got chased away.Now I'm older and wiser(!!!!!!), my mate in Waterston knows the farmer and will take me up there for a butchers next time I'm home to see the folks
Loads to see down there and if you are intersted check out
www.planed.org.uk
for their downloadable 'Guide to the Military Heritage of Pembrokeshire'
unless you have done already

I'll go and take a look next time I go home to see the folks.
Had a look on the Flash Earth, really scary to see the Mine Depot on it prior to all those buildings being demolished and cleared.

Like this bit on the west of the site near the 'scherwing' bridge

IMG_1448.jpg

IMG_1444.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back