Crossroads farm building, Whigstreet, Tayside, Scotland, June '08

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spacepunk

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Reaction score
Hello dudes.
I was having a roadtrip along the back roads near Forfar when I came upon this rambling old farm building. A sign warned 'blah de blah' health and safety 'yawn', so in I went. Some bland barns but one of the buildings had an interesting layout and some workbenches.

Forfar037Small.jpg

Forfar038Small.jpg

Forfar039Small.jpg

Forfar041Small.jpg

Forfar045Small.jpg

Forfar046Small.jpg

Forfar050Small.jpg

Forfar051Small.jpg

Forfar052Small.jpg

Forfar053Small.jpg

Forfar054Small.jpg

Forfar047Small.jpg

Forfar048Small.jpg

Forfar059Small.jpg

Forfar061Small.jpg

Forfar066Small.jpg

Forfar065Small.jpg

Love'n'Peace.
SP.

Looks like a base for a saw? Not really big enough for a mini mill though.

Just a little old farm workshop. Quaint.

I think this was the Whigstreet smiddy (blacksmiths) - the holding-down bolts in pic 7 are about right for an anvil. :)

I think this was the Whigstreet smiddy (blacksmiths) - the holding-down bolts in pic 7 are about right for an anvil. :)

I dont think this plinth was for an anvil,it would be to low,the face of the anvil should be level with the smiths knuckles, makes hammering less tiring ,this is my forge
008-6.jpg

I think the large concrete base would be for a large horizontal gas/oil engine with an outrigger bearing for
the flywheel/ pulley end of the crankshaft
it would be interesting to see if there was any evidence of lineshafting on the beams, this would transfer
power to whatever piece of kit was bolted to the smaller base, if it was a forge then it could easily have been a power hammer{ wish i had one!}
just a few thoughts,hope it helps

shit! sorry about the bottles,the forge also doubles as my chillout space in the evenings !!!!

Last edited:
Have only just discovered this post.
I'm assuming this is the building at the SE corner of the crossroads in Whigstreet - now on Google maps it's behind Heras fencing to keep folk out.
I think Wolfism is correct, this was the Whigstreet smiddy cum workshop, my Grandfather ran it until his death in November 1963.
He was a marine engineer by profession but did a lot of smithing and metalworking etc as well.

Have only just discovered this post.
I'm assuming this is the building at the SE corner of the crossroads in Whigstreet - now on Google maps it's behind Heras fencing to keep folk out.
I think Wolfism is correct, this was the Whigstreet smiddy cum workshop, my Grandfather ran it until his death in November 1963.
He was a marine engineer by profession but did a lot of smithing and metalworking etc as well.
Aye, that's correct, it's to the south east of the crossroads, and fifteen years later is still standing in roughly the same condition - just a wee bit more dilapidated and overgrown.

Glad to hear that this reminder of your grandfather still exists. There are quite a few agricultural engineers in Angus, but very few working from traditional smiddies.

Hey Wolfism, thanks for the response ! Yeah, my grandparents had the cottage on the other side of the road (SW corner of the crossroads, the one that had two petrol pumps outside, as they sold fuel to the local community too. The pumps are long gone now, though the tanks might still be there under the hard standing adjacent to the road. My grandparents and most of my aunts and uncles are still local........they're at Inverarity kirk just down the road. Here's a photo of the building and my grandfather Wull Sturrock, taken I reckon in about 1960 or 1961 ish, judging by the age of my cousin on the left.
PICT0687.JPG

That's a superb photo, do you happen to know what model of car it is?

One or two of my distant relatives and ancestors are in the Inverarity kirkyard, too, and it's not beyond the bounds of possibility that some of them dealt with your grandfather back in the day - of course they're not around to ask now. :-/

When lockdown eased in 2020/ 21 I made a point of going on short drives to the various places just north and east of Dundee where relatives are buried, so that I could understand a bit more about the family tree. I think that counted as staying local, but by that point nobody was checking…

That's a superb photo, do you happen to know what model of car it is?

One or two of my distant relatives and ancestors are in the Inverarity kirkyard, too, and it's not beyond the bounds of possibility that some of them dealt with your grandfather back in the day - of course they're not around to ask now. :-/

When lockdown eased in 2020/ 21 I made a point of going on short drives to the various places just north and east of Dundee where relatives are buried, so that I could understand a bit more about the family tree. I think that counted as staying local, but by that point nobody was checking…
Austin 12/6 I think (?), though anyone who would know for sure is long gone now.

Latest posts

Back