The Magical Hermitage - Feb 2014

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mockingbird

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Reaction score
Mockingbirds Gone Hobbit!

Before I begin apologies for some poor quality/focus shots, I was not intending to photograph at all on this explore but decided to get you lot something, despite my cameras fault, its now in the repair shop so will be back in full swing soon.

3AM and bored going over the exploring check list and decided it was time to tick something off, I contacted my boss as he had asked earlier in the day if anywhere was planned for the weekend, and by 3:40AM we had set off in rain, winds an the ever so cheerful thunder, after a quick stop at the service station for coffee/nibbles the usual, we was well head of our scheduled time frame, so upon arriving we just set off anyway in sleet but it did not dampen our spirits!
Soon enough we stood in-front of this magical structure and both of us just stared in awe, I was very surprised with how big this place was, despite photos making it look smaller, once next to it you certainly are a hobbit. Sadly the place is being used heavily for storage, so moving around now is a tad difficult, many rooms cluttered with lots of black bags and large pieces of wood, far more than previous photos show.
You really are amazed at this place, an like many explorers have said its not your usual explore, a certain tranquil yet magical element seems to fill the air an you just forget to take pictures, instead you admire all the hard work.

Some history below.

In the 1980's Colin Stokes brought 10 acres of land...
Within 11 years he had created "The Hermitage" from stones he found, The Hermitage includes, dovecots, turrets and a selection of hand made stained glass windows created by Colin himself, which are really beautiful to see, originally he wanted to build a barn, but soon his mind began to unknowingly create this magical Hermitage, breaking the traditional code of what a barn should look like, the windows seem to represent seasons, aswel as the four elements, its rather fascinating to view. Colin eventually moved to Scotland after he had issues with the council about his magical barn for his lambs, he also was not happy about a quarry being built so close.

Enjoy!

IMGP4424 by urbexmockingbird, on Flickr

IMGP4422 by urbexmockingbird, on Flickr

IMGP4397 by urbexmockingbird, on Flickr

IMGP4414 by urbexmockingbird, on Flickr

IMGP4418 by urbexmockingbird, on Flickr

IMGP4405 by urbexmockingbird, on Flickr

484118_10202347121294919_685366198_n by urbexmockingbird, on Flickr

43ef128e_l by urbexmockingbird, on Flickr

f5fe8fa8_l by urbexmockingbird, on Flickr

1f34eaa4_l by urbexmockingbird, on Flickr

IMGP4402 by urbexmockingbird, on Flickr

7d17c8a0_l by urbexmockingbird, on Flickr

IMGP4398 by urbexmockingbird, on Flickr

IMGP4395 by urbexmockingbird, on Flickr

Hope you enjoyed this as much as I did seeing it. :mrgreen:

Awesome photos, awesome report!
Top stuff, always wanted to go here, its just so far away!
Hats of, cheers for sharing! :)

Oh my wow this is amazing!!Great photos too, stop it ;) I would love to go here I've never seen it before, it really is magical. Thank you :)

Latest posts

Back