Experienced Urbexers wanted

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Might as well add mine...

Name or Alias:: Derelict-UK

1.When did you start exploring and what triggered the urbex 'virus' for you?

I mainly started exploring in 2002 when I was making a music video for the final year of my college course. I made it so it was all about trespassing and any consequence of being in said place. I photographed the areas for the project.

I actively started to document (photo) places around 2004 in University and have continued it to the day. I don't like the expression 'urbex' or even UE. If I am ever asked to describe what I am doing I tell them I am documenting history.

2. have you seen any big changes in the urbex scene. In terms of attitude towards/or a massive increase in popularity of urban exploring?

Yes, back in 2006 when I first joined internet forums (originally 28days) people were very friendly. You had no attitude and everyone pretty much got on with each other. Nowadays if you are to join that site you have to fall into a love UE category that meets a certain criteria and if you don't, or if you question it, you are kicked to the ground. Many people have left because of such a bad attitude they receive. That shouldn't be the message of welcome newcomers get.

There was also no 'non-public' section so you could post anything anywhere and surprisingly nothing got nicked/trashed even if it was in the public domain. Over the years, forums have become more secretive (Bar Derelict Places, I think, unless I'm not allowed in lol) and have sections that are hidden from the 'general' member or google search bots.

This is probably because more thieves use exploration websites to research locations to go on a nicking spree, this certainly didn't feel the case several years back.

3.Where has been your favourite place to explore, and have you been faced with any particularly dangerous or risky experiences?

My favourite would have to be MG Rover back in 2007 I spent pretty much 30 hours exploring in there and have since explored many old Rover/Austin bunkers on site that were previously unseen. The Rover pictures went worldwide, and because of it, many old Rover employees have been in touch with me to talk about their experiences at the plant, that is what I like about documenting a place, you can carry on enjoying it even after visiting.

I have been abroad exploring and there was a Bunker on the Maginot Line in France that was such a time capsule of WWII engineering. No bunker has ever come close to that since, the fact you had to walk down 13 flights of steps to reach the bottom and then had to negotiate around 2 miles of tunnels was pretty awe-inspiring!

4.Do you think of yourself as a photographer who explorers or as an explorer who takes pictures?

I think of myself as a photo documenter. The exploring goes hand in hand with the documenting. I would feel 'naked' without my camera on an explore.

-------------------

I hope this was OK, if you want to have a look at some of my images, my website is as follows, please use the email on the website (or PM me here) if you would like to use any images, all I ask for is to be credited in your dissertation.

www.photoaddiction.co.uk

Having just returned from terrorising the galaxy, and having no friends, (well except Dobbo of course) I thought I would take part in this :mrgreen:

Name: TK421

I began exploring as a kid, mainly looking for old cars to play in (of which there were many), and progressed to houses. I then lapsed but always wanted to get back into it, and to be honest it was finding sites like this that renewed my interest and spurred me on to have a go at more adventurous places.

2. have you seen any big changes in the urbex scene. In terms of attitude towards/or a massive increase in popularity of urban exploring?

There seems to be a lot of joiners to all 3 of the forums I frequent, however many of them never seem to produce much in the way of reporting, it probably would be an interesting statistic to see the ration of joiners to meaningful explores. I like hunting for anything unusual and there is a well meaning spirit of secrecy, I am a massive vintage vehicle fan and if one thing the internet has brought is the ability for more people to find the secret things or places that previously few had heard of, that is great in one sense, but brings the wrong sort of attention also. I also believe there is a higher developed sense of care within the exploring world, when I suss out a site I am always thinking about my own safety. Finally the code of no B&E and no taking stuff in the main is still in place, with a few notable and quite dishonourable exceptions which gall me.

3.Where has been your favourite place to explore, and have you been faced with any particularly dangerous or risky experiences?

I really enjoyed RAF Driffield, and still enjoy visiting BOCM at Selby, Sileby Maltings was a special one but for me it was conquering my childhood nemesis Ravensworth Castle.

4.Do you think of yourself as a photographer who explorers or as an explorer who takes pictures?

I am a photographer and explorer and both are large parts of my life, the quality of some peoples photos on the forums are quite inspiring.

cheers

Name or Alias:: Born to be Mild

My dad worked in Public/Environmental Health. When he had to work weekends me and my bro used to go with him. Got to see all sorts of industrial sites S of Leeds. Became fascinated by the buildings and machinery and never lost the bug. I particularly enjoy isolated places, and/or discovering places that haven't been documented before.

Before I joined DP, I had no idea how big Urbex was. I'd never met or spoken to any other Urban Explorers, so it was nice to find that there were like minded souls out there. I like to think that DP is the acceptable face of Urbex.
There are other sites in which self-styled urban warriors acts of bravado seem to count for more than the quality of the report or the archaeological and historical interest of the location.

I love old quarries, mines and associated buildings. My favourite site is Southam Cement Works, which is now unfortunately rapidly disappearing. I also love the old mines of the Forest of Dean. Only risky experience is coming face to face with an angry adder at an old Sawmill.;)

Always take my camera on explores, but it's primarily as an aid to memory for myself. I'm not a great photographer tbh.

Name or Alias: Possessed

Hmmm... I remember having an interest in places that all the boring adults said that I wasn't supposed to be in. I remember going on a river cruise up the Trent when I was aged about 10/11 and I saw an old sugar beet factory (explored it a few months ago, in v. poor condition). I got truly interested in urbex back in June 2009, when I was bored, doing some revision for exams. Somewhere, the words 'urban exploration' came into my head, so I googled it and was amazed by what I saw! I didn't get properly exploring until I was 18, when I explored some old military buildings in France over the summer of 2010.

Erm, difficult to say. I think urbex has probably become bigger, thanks to the growth of the internet.

My favourite place, hands down was Forest Mills in Nottingham. It was an absolute treasure chest of things to see and I could almost feel the history. I will never forget that explore of it, in November 2010
With regards to the second question, I have had a nail go into my foot a couple of times, and while slightly painful, it was far from serious and within a week, the mark had faded

[
I just see myself mostly as the latter, as I've been around a couple of sites and taken no pics at all.
Anyway, good luck with your dissertation and Merry Christmas :mrgreen:

Name or Alias:Godzilla73
Like TeeJF I have been exploring since the late 70's. We just never called it that then. I grew up in Essex (land of the apparently-breeding pillbox) and Dover - where the world and his dog seems to have a tunnel at the bottom of their garden. For me exploring was a really important part of playing - it's the fact that this part of play is now really restricted for children and young people that makes me suspect that Urbex has become so big.

I didn't really associate what I was doing with Urbex for a long time. Like D-UK I had always thought of it as being about being interested in history (particularly local history, where if there isn't any money to be made, very few people in authority appear to be interested). I don't feel I have much in common personally with the Drainers and Crane-climbers, but I believe we are a broad church on here, and always feel that I can learn a lot from everybody's experiences.

Wartling was pretty lethal - and as a consequence was fantastic. No lighting, missing floorboards, bare wires and pipes. Even though we were in there with the owners permission, there were still a few hairy moments.
Scoveston fort, when we came across an open well that was just there in the middle of the path. If it had been in the dark, one of us would probably have drowned.
Loads - I'm not really an adrenaline junkie, but there is something exciting going into places that people wouldn't normally go into.

Probably a photographer who explores, because I take pictures of other stuff as well -planes, wildlife etc

Hope it helps
Godzy

Name or Alias: Ace5150

Living abroad in Hong Kong was my first insight to exploring. My mates and I regularly explored Mt Davis Fort which was very nearby to where I lived. My brother was featured in the South China Morning Post for finding some live grenades and lots of live bullets.........we threw the grenades at each other thinking they were dead.........I still go cold thinking about it!
Fast Forward 30+ years and I have re-discovered a love for exploring..........while we still have places left

2. have you seen any big changes in the urbex scene. In terms of attitude towards/or a massive increase in popularity of urban exploring?Due to the internet, it seems everyone is a 'Johnny-come-lately' to the craze..........and that would include me.
The attitude of the seasoned die-hards to new fans is mixed. I find the forumites on Derelict Places are both freindly and helpful, whereas the 'old school brigade' on '28' are dismissive and snotty towards new members.........to the point I had my membership cancelled JUST because I entered into a debate with a moderator. As a result, ALL my pictures I intend to post will be copyrighted to DP so '28' won't benefit

3.Where has been your favourite place to explore, and have you been faced with any particularly dangerous or risky experiences?Obviously, Mt Davis in Hong Kong was special, because when you're young, you have no fear. Since then, I am fortunate to work at an Army base, and am free to roam anywhere.........and the pictures i took of a now demolished hangar were a once-in-a-lifetime chance.....no-one else was able or was intrested to take any pictures. I am hoping to upload them in the New Year.
Whilst I am a 'bit handy'...........the thought of exploring some of the derelict places nearby does fill me with a sense of dread of disturbing some junkies who wouldn't think twice of slotting me for disturbing them!

The latter..........my cameras are top notch kit, even though I haven't a clue how to get the best out of them, so I take my point-and-shoot camera which is lighter and does an OK job at 6m pixels..........besides, if Im mugged by a junkie/squatter/chav, I can write the camera off...........but my Canon 450D couldn't be replaced 'just like that'

Name or Alias: Foxylady

More or less always, exploring abandoned farmhouses and watermills when quite young, then railway stations, goods yards and other stuff when older. My first forum-specific explores were made early 2007, which triggered the need to document properly and research the history etc.

I can only really comment about Derelict Places forum as a yardstick, as it's the only forum I use. One thing I have noticed is that even though the members have increased, there always seems to be only a small part of that membership that contributes forum-wise. I can't be totally sure, but I get the impression that it's remained fairly constant. New ones join and some drop off, but there's always a small hardcore that post regularly. I don't know about any increase in exploring itself so can't really comment.

I love quarries and mines and my favourite quarry is Shapwick Grange, which I found by chance whilst researching a nearby viaduct. My favourite mine is the British Iron Works in South Wales. Simpsons Pottery in Stoke-on-Trent was also a fantastic explore and the three airfields on Blackdown Hills were very special. Difficult to pinpoint just one as they were all brilliant in their own special ways.

Yes, at Shapwick, on my second visit I stupidly ran up a chalk heap to get a better view...after we'd had 4 days continuous rain...and sank almost up to my knees. That was really scary as I was stuck fast and had to literally dig each foot out separately with my bare hands. I also once fell through a floor and got stuck halfway through (thank goodness for child-bearing hips, lol) and had to be pulled out. I've been in a few hairy situations with floods, bogs and slurry pits whilst pillboxing and a few 'I'm in the middle of nowhere on my own' moments.

4.Do you think of yourself as a photographer who explores or as an explorer who takes pictures?

Both, both together and separately.

Name or Alias: MMU

For a short while I lived near a few bomb shelters and an abandoned place we all called the 'bt centre.' It may or may not have been anything to do with british telecom. There were a lot of huge cable reels around so it is possible. We mostly tried to out balls each other doing stupidly dangerous things. The place is long gone now though.

My urbex scene is me and a few friends. A few of them have beards, bigger beards and/or wrinkles now.

I prefer to explore hospitals/asylums or places of industry. I did once break my foot, slipping 6 inches down a drain pipe. (derelict hospital, Ha!)

I can not recall which I did first... It took me a while to mix the two.

Latest posts

Back