Sheffield Courts Jan 2014

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Northerner

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Been on here for a while but not yet posted so this is my first report, I visited Sheffield Court a couple of weeks ago but failed massively not taking my Tri-Pod. These images are from the revisit.
This place seems pretty popular at the moment, we bumped into at least 3 other groups of explorers in the day. Let me know what you think!

The building was commissioned to replace Sheffield's first town hall, which had opened in 1700 to a design by William Renny. This first structure stood by the parish church, on a site with little prospect for extension.

The Old Town Hall was built in 1807–8 by Charles Watson, and was designed to house not only the Town Trustees but also the Petty and Quarter Sessions. The initial building was a five-bay structure fronting Castle Street, but it was extended in 1833 and again in 1866 by William Flockton (1804–1864) of Sheffield and his partner for the project, Abbott; the most prominent feature was the new central clock tower over a new main entrance that reoriented the building to Waingate. At the same time, the building's courtrooms were linked by underground passages to the neighbouring Sheffield Police Offices.

The first Town Council was elected in 1843 and took over the lease of the Town Trustees' hall in 1866. The following year, the building was extensively renovated, with a clock tower designed by Flockton & Abbott being added.

By the 1890s, the building had again become too small, and the current Sheffield Town Hall was built further south. The Old Town Hall was again extended in 1896–97, by the renamed Flockton, Gibbs & Flockton, and became Sheffield Crown Court and Sheffield High Court. In the 1990s, these courts moved to new premises, and since at least 1997 to present, the building remains disused.

In 2007, it was named by the Victorian Society as one of their top ten buildings most at-risk.

The present owners have had the old Town Hall since 2004 but it has stood empty since then.

It is Grade II listed and was supposed to go to auction in October 2008, but when BBC Radio Sheffield contacted the auctioneers they hadn't been paid their fees so it wouldn't be able to go under the hammer.

IMG_0065.jpg

IMG_0060BW.jpg

IMG_0059.jpg

IMG_0054.jpg

IMG_0052.jpg

IMG_0049.jpg

IMG_0043.jpg

IMG_0036.jpg

IMG_0034.jpg

IMG_0031.jpg

IMG_0021.jpg

IMG_0019.jpg

IMG_0017.jpg

Last edited:
Excellent first report! I see the lights were out in the Court 1 waiting area...When I was there all the lights were on and the Christmas lights near the TV were still plugged in and working. Good work!!

Last edited:
Very nicely done. It seems to me that everyone brings something different to their explorations. Even when the same venue is recorded several times in quick succession - there is something of the individual in all the sets.

Excellent first report! I see the lights were out in the Court 1 waiting area...When I was there all the lights were on and the Christmas lights near the TV were still plugged in and working. Good work!!

There are just a couple of strip lights working near the steps and a couple of lights in the little store rooms.

also the TV is still very much working! couldnt get a signal though :cry:

IMG_0032.jpg

Good report there and some nice photos. I would like to visit here

Jeez! I really need to dust the camera off and meet up with you guys! Im only in't Manor :)

Back