Building plans

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zerointen

Reaction score
Okies not wanting to go down the road that others may have taken, how do you source maps for asylums? Do you have to apply to the county records office that the institution resides in or would they be obtainable from a central location.

I know you don't need a map to explore but it helps to give the pictures meaning or you risk them being a disjointed series of shots. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

What plans are you looking for?

If the place is being developed, you should be able to find plans on your local council website, under planning applications etc.
Or as you said, pop along to your county records office.

Last edited:
mainly hospital and asylum plans , however as they're all dispersed across the country it would mean travelling across the country . Do you know if you can request them by post? Any good reference books would be useful. Failing that I don't really mind spending time in the archives I quite like them.

Last edited:
Another possible avenue to explore would be contacting the Archive Dept. at the Royal Institute of British Architects (RIBA), or alternatively contact the respective Mental Health Trust, as both of these organisations might hold records.

Hope you find what you're looking for! :)

Latest posts

Back