Big House, Scotland, March 2012

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lost

Reaction score

The Big House is one I've been meaning to look at for a while - I had a day off work and the fuel tank in my car was brimmed with cooking oil so it was off quite a long way, in a classified direction.

Unusual circular main entrance hall, you'd need a ridiculous fisheye lens to capture it all.

Unopened tins of crap lager from the late 1990s. This place is really abandoned and un-trashed.

Stained glass window in the main stairwell.

There's lots of stuff left behind, exploring places like this always feels very intrusive, even if they have been abandoned for more than 10 years.

Old nautical charts.

Around the side there's a very rotten Bedford badged Isuzu pickup - last taxed in 1999.

Many remote areas of Scotland were off the grid until the 1970s (some still are), the burn, backed up by a Lister diesel generator, provided power to the Big House.

Hydro electric generator.

Here was me thinking you had Retired after Germany mate, or in a comma :lol::lol: Very nice Lost glad to see you resurface mate :)

This place looks grand. Nice one Lost, interiors have stood up well - unlike the rusty pickup!

Fascinating. Now excuse me, gotta catch my breath a little.
You mean that in Britain, one can find a perfectly preserved mansion like this, untouched by defilers, with windows intact and stuff? Man, my next vacation is pretty much decided.
Thanks so much for this.
Edit: Oh, the cleverness of me. Of course I meant "... in Scotland, one can find..."

Very nice :)

Good to see something from you, you've been almost as quiet as us Invernessians :lol:

Love places like that, not yet rotten or trashed but you can see how grand became grim as the money ebbed away. Great pics.

First post on here in over a year I think!! So Hi again! But just wanted to say, that is an amazing find Lost and a great location! Lets just hope it stays in that condition! Any signs of work away to commence or rumours about renovation, do you know?

I was here in the summer of 2010, it is in such a nice spot. I remember seeing quite a few VHS tapes that took me back to my childhood! Great report :)

Latest posts

Back