Thornseat Lodge, Sept 2012

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hnmisty

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Reaction score
Living in Sheffield, I'd eyed this one up for quite a while...and felt very smug being out there on such a beautiful day when my friends were nursing horrific hangovers :mrgreen:

It seems to have been pretty well done, but for people who haven't come across it yet, it was built in 1855 for a steel maker named William Jessop as a shooting lodge. It became a children's home in the 1930s and closed in the 1980s.

Place is a bit of a death trap (understatement?). There are lots of very large and thus very obvious gaping holes in the floor...and then you notice a little yawning black hole six inches away from your feet... First floor has got very pally with ground floor, ground floor obviously isn't too keen on this close association and so is migrating towards the cellar... Rather unnervingly, there also appear to be holes in the ground outside the house as well, whether these are just drain covers that have gone AWOL or what, I'm not sure as it's overgrown.

It seems like some of the items I've spotted in other people's photos have grown legs and disappeared. I've seen a photo of an Aga in what was presumably the kitchen, but not a sign of it when we were there.

I'm not much of a photographer (understatement no 2), I just like exploring old, falling apart places and taking some photos for the memories.

Really?!
P1000443.jpg

P1000393.jpg

P1000451.jpg

P1000445.jpg

P1000418.jpg

Where once there was a stair...
P1000409.jpg

Some of the rather obvious holes in the floor!
P1000475.jpg

P1000419.jpg

Not sure it'd be very effective these days...
P1000423.jpg

P1000474.jpg

I could see the two cubicles from the outside and I had to find out if there was still a loo!
P1000444.jpg

After a leg up from the bf, I hit the jackpot :D
P1000469.jpg

P1000411.jpg

Some of the outbuildings
P1000455.jpg

P1000457.jpg

P1000459.jpg

P1000454.jpg

I've read that people have found it creepy etc and it's supposedly haunted... I'll freely admit that I am a total wimp with an overactive imagination...and I failed to see any ghosts, spot any evil spirits etc...
Hope you enjoyed :)

Cheers guys :)

Judderman62, when did you pay it a visit?

On the way in up the drive there were two parallel scratch marks all the way down, which I cheerfully announced to be the feet of the dead body as the murderers dragged it away. We reckon the body might have been the Aga as I'm sure it wasn't there! (next person to go will probably spot it straight off :p)

Yeh probably was an aga! It's not like there is anyone around the area to stop them! We popped in here after trying at loxley congregational one day
But it was so windy u could hardly walk and I just ended up lol'ing about looking like Kate bush in the wuthering heights video! Proper windy hahaha

Nice photoings!

Latest posts

Back