Rugby Cement, Southam Works, January 2012

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TranKmasT

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Reaction score
It's been well over a year since a I last saw report on this site. It was a bit of

gamble not knowing it was still doable or even still there for that matter. It paid off in the end.

Thanks to Mookster for remembering that far back and giving me some tips.

The village of Southam has been associated with quarrying since the early 1800s when the quality of its blue lias limestone was recognised, first for making agricultural lime and then for cement. It was in the 1840s that a cement works was built, becoming an important part of the local community for 150 years and providing jobs for several generations of local people.

The cement plant eventually closed in 1999 and plans are now being considered for the demolition of the structures and long term use of the site. The quarrying operation resumed in 2003 as a means of supplying raw materials by road to our Rugby plant. It was two years later that the site was taken over by CEMEX when it first came to the UK and acquired RMC.

http://www.cemexcommunities.co.uk/southam.html

Security.jpg

stairportrait.jpg

rustychute.jpg

girder.jpg

industrialshapes.jpg

Grendell.jpg

floor.jpg

winch.jpg

X29extrapolater.jpg

chutecloseup.jpg

Circuitry.jpg

Baggingchamber.jpg
Cementdispenser.jpg

nosmoking.jpg
cementsacks.jpg

rayoflight.jpg

throughwindow.jpg

conveyorshaft.jpg

PortraitPB.jpg

conveyor2.jpg

cemexmixer.jpg

exterior.jpg

exteriorshot.jpg

Gantry.jpg

chimney.jpg

Portrait2.jpg

Nicereflections.jpg

sillouette.jpg

Thanks for looking.

I live a couple of miles away and regularly visit. Never get bored with it - it's so big that you'll always find something new.

Bit more security now as they are using it to dump waste from the other plant in Rugby.

I live very close to this, I would love to one day actually enter the site, but I've been too afraid. I've been told of security guards walking around and such.

Gone!

Went today for a mooch round. Main silo building is all but demolished, conveyor has gone, as has the furnace complex that was adjacent to the chimney.

Only three buildings left as far as I could see. Two rather dull warehouses and the 'research' building which was still in use anyway.

It was visiting the complex about 10 years ago that got me into urbex. Spent many happy hours in there.

B*gger.

Back