RAF Stenigot, July 2009

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Runner

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Reaction score
This was a hastily arranged visit given the current uncertaincy of this site.
I've wanted to photograph the dishes as the sun went down since I first saw them, a meet up after work and a dash into the wolds saw us there in time for some nice light.

I'm not going to do the history; this place is deservedly one of the most popular explores and is very well documented, try these:

http://www.subbrit.org.uk/rsg/sites/s/stenigot/index.html

http://www.raf-lincolnshire.info/stenigot/stenigot.htm

The Pics:

Chain Home Receiver Panel Incoming

IMG_0991r.jpg

Incoming Circuit Breaker

IMG_0997r.jpg

Receiver Power Panel
There were circuits for 6 masts in this panel, from what I can find I believe there were only 4 Chain Home Masts at Stenigot.

IMG_0983r.jpg

The Dishes

IMG_1050r.jpg

I'm certain the dishes have been moved since my last visit

IMG_1013r.jpg

Chauffeur demonstrates scale

IMG_1034r.jpg

Solid - reckon these are going to take some cutting up

IMG_1038r.jpg

Don't know what this pulley was about

IMG_1009r.jpg

Made from rivets

IMG_1089r.jpg

The shot I wanted

IMG_1065r.jpg

Dish, moon and Chain Home

IMG_1112r.jpg

The surviving Chain Home transmitter mast is still used by RAF Digby Aerial Erector School

IMG_1146r.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Wow! They are bleedin huge! I have seen posts from this location before but never appreciated the scale of them, looks like you had a good time there, your photos have come out really well, well done that man!

Nice one Runner, I went up there with Badoosh and we had a Ball. Did you get to the Generator Substation as well?

Nice set of pics.. Liking that 2nd to last pic, Runner, and the power panels. that mast is huge close up, isn't it? always fancied climbing it but it's way too close to the nearby house, and as you say, still MOD owned, must be an awesome view from up there tho! :mrgreen:

Thanks for the comments,

BS - didn't get into the generator substation. I thought at least 1 building had been levelled since I last went and some of the roadway ripped up.
I'm fairly certain the dishes have been moved too, but that could be the memory playing tricks!

It would need to be something pretty humongous!

:lol: Crossed my mind too, but something didn't look quite the same there. Can't imagine hiring a crane to move them a few feet either - must be senility or too many beers the previous weekend :mrgreen:

Back