Crookham Court Manor - Newbury - December 2014

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gromr

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Reaction score
Last week was my birthday, I was spending a weekend down in Newbury with my girlfriend. A few days prior to that I was browsing various Urbex websites to kill some free time one evening. By chance I stumbled upon a report of Crookham school manor, not initially realising where it was located. When I saw how close it was to where we were staying it was the obvious Saturday afternoon activity. Especially as my GF has never been on an urban explore and seemed really keen to go.

This is place that has already been explored and reporting a fair few times before, so this is nothing new to a lot of you.
However it has (so far) been the best and most interesting place I have visited.
Not exactly how everyone spends their birthday, but I certainly enjoyed it :D

The history of Crookham school Manor (Or Crookham Court School) is rather notorious. The private school became part of a nation scandal in the late 80s when it was found that one of the teachers was molesting the students. In the end three members of staff where convicted and the school was closed down.
However the terrible things that happened here don't take away from how great this place is. The building is stunning and the small buildings surrounding the main manor are completely open and are a photographers wet dream. Places like this make me want go and buy lots of new camera lenses.
I'll have to make do with my kit lens till I can afford a nice Fuji prime lens next year :(

Despite all the reports I'd read of people that had succeeded to gain access, we couldn't get into the main manor house. The whole bottom floor was completely sealed up. Some of the top floor windows where open, but as neither me or GF had any climbing gear or Spiderman like abilities, so we had to admit defeat.
It was still a fantastic explore.

There appeared to be some kinds of hut/cottage just behind the front gate, so we went through the woods and emerged round the side of the building to avoid it.

15880311569_4201764dfb_b.jpg

15403654473_f3b1ea9910_b.jpg

A fake CCTV camera?

16022597722_722256663b_b.jpg

The garage door had been ripped open.

15835915678_9ac7d1f618_b.jpg

15401076954_7a49ab9aaa_b.jpg

15403692853_8a5d56f42f_b.jpg

The top windows is open, but way too high to get to.
So we went for a look round the buildings surrounding the manor.

15837245799_51038b9829_b.jpg

15997529106_998555f8f9_b.jpg

15403673903_de7f855c85_b.jpg

The old gym

15401059234_f33e49f704_b.jpg

15403686163_0148c0c6ea_b.jpg

15403690013_8bbbb5c584_b.jpg

The best part for me was the old science room.
It was in a bit of a mess, but some of the desks still had old exam papers on.

16023298865_1f1a4cb32e_b.jpg

15401042024_a784099253_b.jpg

15403663353_29422cf22e_b.jpg

15401044774_a399486d51_b.jpg

There was an old music room upstairs

16022621602_9d3a40f1b9_b.jpg

15880371479_0ff0a5528b_b.jpg

Nice pics - thank you.

Not seen the security camera before - whereabouts was it? I can't really tell from your photos. Hard to see how they'd get electricity to it (unless it's battery operated?? I don't know about such things). Then again, the place is about to be redeveloped so I expect they are trying to take more care of it now.

http://www.newburytoday.co.uk/2014/plans-to-restore-crookham-house-approved

It does looks pretty sealed up, especially with that new door grey round the side.

Thanks! I used a video light with an orange filter for the darker rooms. First time using one and I'm really happy with the outcome.

9g7cN1w.jpg

Shame you couldn't get into the main building, but some great photos none the less. Nice one

Nice pics - thank you.

Not seen the security camera before - whereabouts was it? I can't really tell from your photos. Hard to see how they'd get electricity to it (unless it's battery operated?? I don't know about such things). Then again, the place is about to be redeveloped so I expect they are trying to take more care of it now.

http://www.newburytoday.co.uk/2014/plans-to-restore-crookham-house-approved

It does looks pretty sealed up, especially with that new door grey round the side.

The security camera was right out the front of the house, above a door. It has been pointed upwards the sky, so fake or not it is no use at all.

some nice shots you've had from there, good idea with the light ;) same as us could not get in and looking at your photos the place is more trashed than it was, the scales look like they are missing from the lab and the piano smashed up :(

Last edited:
I think the camera was there before, although I'm not sure about the white cable next to it. Anyway, as you say, it's pretty useless now!

the white cable was there when I visited here , and there were some cameras on the walls , but theres no power to them , so fake. there are cameras on the gate where the gate house is, not sure if they work but there are people living there so the may do!

Great to see another report on this place! I went here on Monday and spent about 4-5 hours wandering the outside and the inside. I must say, through all their attempts to stop people entering into the building, they missed one of the most obvious :p

I'd say the CCTV is fake as we spent a considerable amount of time within the grounds and met some other photographers, 2 college girls taking shots for their photography project, and we were never approached or caught.

Thanks for sharing, will also try and get my report up in a few days :)

Merry Christmas Peeps...

I've been in this place and believe it or not it still have electricity follow into the building as me n a friend found the electric meter. :/ We also went into a room in the main building that had an alarm, we opened the door and the alarm went off. Although we was startled at first we continued with the explore and no one came to sort the alarm out. It was still going when we left about an hour or so later.

Back