Severalls Hospital -Summer, 1999

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lightbuoy

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Reaction score
Yes, it's more photos from what's become me second home ;)

Totally forgot about these & the actual visit in 1999, back when I was at college. We visited the place as part of our Study Project, then I contacted the Security Company, who at that time were on site all the time and did their rounds (remember those swipe readers on the wall from Simon's visit?).
Anyway, was sorting through me old film snaps, and came across these. Unfortunatley no pics of the inside, as the Security chap was in a hurry to do his rounds! Even more annoying was that he said I could come back the following week to see the inside, but I never did!!! :(

Anyway, enough talk -enjoy peeps! :)

Central Boilerhouse & Water Tower
Sevs1999-CentralBoilerhouseWaterTow.png

East Wards
Sevs1999-EastWards.png

East Wards
Sevs1999-EastWards2.png

East Wards
Sevs1999-EastWards3.png

East Wards
Sevs1999-EastWards4.png

East Wards
Sevs1999-EastWards5.png

East Wards
Sevs1999-EastWards6.png

East Wards (Female Workshops on right)
Sevs1999-EastWards7withFemaleWorksh.png

Stores & Main Hall beyond
Sevs1999-FireStationStoresMainHallb.png

Cricket Ground with Clubhouse beyond
Sevs1999-FormerCricketGroundwithClu.png

Foundation Stone at Admin (Main Hospital Entrance)
Sevs1999-FoundationStoneonAdminatHo.png

Larch House / Villa & Water Tower
Sevs1999-LarchHouse-VillawithWaterT.png

Laundry Yard looking across to Nurses' block & NE Wards
Sevs1999-LaundryYardlookingacros-1.png

Sevs1999-LaundryYardlookingacrossto.png

Assistant Medical Officers' House (later Doctor's Residence)
Sevs1999-MedicalSuperintendentsH-1.png

Assistant Medical Officers' House (later Doctor's Residence), with southern Wards beyond
Sevs1999-MedicalSuperintendentsHous.png

NW tip of Main Hospital
Sevs1999-NorthwesttipofMainHospi-1.png

Sevs1999-NorthwesttipofMainHospital.png

Grounds with typical Pavillion Shelter on SE side, with perimeter road. Eden Villa is just visible in background
Sevs1999-SE.png

Main Stores & Water Tower
Sevs1999-StoresFireStationwithWater.png

Stores, Main Kitchens, Central Wards
Sevs1999-StoresKitchensCentralWards.png

Western Wards
Sevs1999-WestWards.png

Last edited:
wow, nice to see the place looking so neat. No smashed windows, burnt bits, and the grounds look so tidy. Nice one :)

wow, nice to see the place looking so neat. No smashed windows, burnt bits, and the grounds look so tidy. Nice one :)

Yes, I think that the neatly trimmed lawns are the most striking thing, aside from the un-chavved condition of the buildings :)

Wow that's mental! Despite the amount of tme I've spent in the place, trying to imagine the condition, you cant prepare yourself for when you see it like that.
Cheers for sharing.

Very nice photos. Looks like two years of closure had done little damage to the hospital then. Such a contrast to now! The photo 'NW tip of main hospital' is interesting as it appears to show the estate office which stood near larch villa. I can't recall if it is still there as i don't remember ever seeing it. Just a couple of points - the fire station is located slightly further up the access road, adjacent to the bakery building. Heres a photo of it:
17904790dc79f0414.jpg

Also the doctors flats were never the home of the medical superintendent, but the assistant medical officer (AMO). I'm not sure where that mis-information (although i suspect the Save Severalls site) came from but it turns up all over the internet. The Superintendent's house a large detached residence close to the gate. Sorry, just one of my asylum accuracy niggles.

I will try and post up a handful of photos of the hospital in use which i have once i am able to unite them with a modern day shot.

Pete

ps. check your email

thanks for sharing, well odd with all the neat lawns and mint looking pavillion shelter things

Very nice photos. Looks like two years of closure had done little damage to the hospital then. Such a contrast to now! The photo 'NW tip of main hospital' is interesting as it appears to show the estate office which stood near larch villa. I can't recall if it is still there as i don't remember ever seeing it. Just a couple of points - the fire station is located slightly further up the access road, adjacent to the bakery building. Heres a photo of it:
17904790dc79f0414.jpg

Also the doctors flats were never the home of the medical superintendent, but the assistant medical officer (AMO). I'm not sure where that mis-information (although i suspect the Save Severalls site) came from but it turns up all over the internet. The Superintendent's house a large detached residence close to the gate. Sorry, just one of my asylum accuracy niggles.

I will try and post up a handful of photos of the hospital in use which i have once i am able to unite them with a modern day shot.

Pete

ps. check your email

Hi Pete,

Thanks for letting me know about the one's I've labelled wrong:eek: Always something new to learn about Sevs! :) Didn't know there was another Estates Office -the other being in part of the Mortuary
DSCN6778.png

DSCN6779.png

Look forwards to seeing your photos!

Lb:cool:

P.s. -thanks for e-mail. Reply sent :)

Thanks UrbanX & Mr Sam :)

Looking back now, i find it strange why they kept the grounds tidy, as the fencing was already up the year before :confused:
I can only assume that perhaps the Health Authority were planning to sell it, and it would look better all neat & tidy?

Thanks UrbanX & Mr Sam :)

Looking back now, i find it strange why they kept the grounds tidy, as the fencing was already up the year before :confused:
I can only assume that perhaps the Health Authority were planning to sell it, and it would look better all neat & tidy?

They probably still employed the grounds keeper(s) / gardener(s) from the days when it was running, at some point in the next couple of years they probably either got told to stop looking after the main site and just look after the active villas, or whoever was doing the maintenance finally got laid off.

Its odd that grounds keepers are often the last to be laid off when somewhere closes, There often still cutting the grass some years after the actual closure. I suppose one of the better known examples whoud be Denbigh where even now the the grass is cut while the buildings go to rak and ruin.

That does seem the most likely explanation. Ta for the input ol' chap :)

P.s. -you got many explores lined-up for this year?

They probably still employed the grounds keeper(s) / gardener(s) from the days when it was running, at some point in the next couple of years they probably either got told to stop looking after the main site and just look after the active villas, or whoever was doing the maintenance finally got laid off.

Its odd that grounds keepers are often the last to be laid off when somewhere closes, There often still cutting the grass some years after the actual closure. I suppose one of the better known examples whoud be Denbigh where even now the the grass is cut while the buildings go to rak and ruin.

I think if its gov owend it might also have to do with A) it makes places not look derelict and B) some councils are notoriously slow at doing any thing

Wow, brilliant Lightbuoy. I can't get over how presentable the place looks. Nice selection of photos, ta muchly for sharing them.

Latest posts

Back