Dean Clark House, The old Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spikey

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Reaction score
The old Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital, Dean Clark House

Perfect site to try out my new Tokina 11-16mm lense, the place has been well stripped out, but it was still a great explore. Visited there with Scotty and Scrub2000

The hospital is situated in Southernhay in Exeter and was opened in 1743. The first stage of the hospital had four wards - the Devon, the Exeter, the Bristol and the Winchester Wards. Interestingly, the beds were placed with their sides to the wall, foot to foot, under the windows. Later, they were placed with the foot of each bed against the wall, and it wasn't until 1821 that the head was placed in the conventional position, against the wall. Another feature, that could be reintroduced, for medicinal purposes only, was the brew-house which supplied three pints daily to each patient. Water was likely to be contaminated, so the supply of beer was usual in workhouses and hospitals, and would also supply the patient with much needed carbohydrates and vitamin B.

After the Duke and Duchess of York visited the hospital in 1899, the hospital was given permission to add Royal to its title, becoming the Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital. Many medical improvements were introduced in the early 20th Century, especially radiography (x-rays) and improved anaesthesia. It wasn't until 1928 that the first Maternity Department was partly completed.

The Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital escaped damage in the Exeter blitz and on 24th August 1948 the last board meeting was held before the hospital became part of the newly formed NHS. The buildings of the RD&E were becoming inadequate for a modern health service and in 1974, the hospital moved to a new, purpose built facility on the Heavitree cricket field at Wonford.

Since 1974 it been used by the Exeter Health trust until June 2007. Now it is earmaked for redevelopment as a mixed site including residential accommodation, a hotel and office premises. The planning process is expected to take 12 to 18 months and, due to the grade II* listing status, this will involve English Heritage.

Overview of the site
location_map2.gif

We managed to get in to the Halford, Victoria and Dean Clarke and heres the pics

Front view of Victoria Wing
slides-102.jpg

Halford Wing Front
slides-103.jpg

Trying to get panoramic view of site
Side.jpg

Now for inside :)
Before As Exeter health Trust
gallery_lrg_014.jpg

As of now
slides-003.jpg

Overlooking Southernhay
slides-006.jpg

slides-007.jpg

Ward in Dean Clarke Wing
slides-010.jpg

Operations room ??
slides-011.jpg

slides-015.jpg

Roof above lift shaft
slides-021.jpg

Another ward
slides-030.jpg

Found these down in the basement prob part of the old chapel
slides-032.jpg

Another corridoor with patient room off to the right
slides-047.jpg

Great room this and the light fitting - nhs defo couldnt afford that now :lol:
slides-067.jpg

Looking up throught the main stair well in Dean Clarke House
slides-051.jpg

Nurses Desk
slides-056.jpg

Another corridor shot
slides-069.jpg

and finally a leaving shot :mrgreen:

slides-086.jpg

Last edited:
nice clean site, every thing has been removed. there is no paper work, no beds, no shelfs, nothing!
the basement has alot of nice orignal features but its very PIRed and the security is quicki.

here is some more pics.

P002.jpg

P004.jpg

P005.jpg

P010.jpg

P013.jpg

P014.jpg

Scrub really likes the toilets.
P015.jpg

P016.jpg

thanks dude,gotta look at the other bit mate :yes:

...gotta look at the other bit mate :yes:

Can I come? :mrgreen:
Flip me, I knew about the old hospital but didn't realise it's use was changing yet again. Good work and photos, guys.
I'm serious, though. It'd be great to hook up on an explore if that's okay with you guys. :)

Hi Foxy yer we done most of the plymouth site now, so gotta move further afield -- got a few places in Exeter to look at, but defo more than welcome to come with us :mrgreen:

I just love the before and after shots. There aren't enough of those in site reports; it's so much better to actually see the place in use too.

haha, I remember going there when I was little and having 3 teeth pulled, not the best memory I'm sure! Shame its empty, its a lovely building just the like the old eye infirmary over the road.

Sure i used to park there when i went shopping???
They open the car park to the old bit on the weekend?

Latest posts

Back