St Merryn Airfield Cornwall (HMS Vulture)

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hydealfred

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Reaction score
In October 1937 St Merryn opened as a 52 acre civilian airfield and was operated by St Merryn Aerodrome Ltd. In December 1939 the airfield was surveyed by The Admiralty and rebuilt as a Fleet Air Arm Station. The runways were rather short as they were built to simulate what Fleet Air Arm crews would experience when taking off and landing on carrier decks. Between 1940 and 1952 the Fleet Air Arm operated from the airfield. During this time the station was known as HMS Vulture and many first and second line naval squadrons flew from the airfield. In Autumn 1940 & Spring 1941 the airfield received the attentions of the Luftwaffe who on several occasions bombed the station to disrupt training activities. Rebuilt and extended in 1942 the station incorporated the School Of Air Combat. In 1944 further extension took place with a new control tower being built. Post war the airfield was used by the Royal Naval Volunteer Reserve and various training schools. In 1952 the station was re-commissioned as HMS Curlew and was used mainly for ground training. Flying ceased in December 1953 with the airfield finally closing on 10 January 1956. The site was sold off in 1959. Many types of aircraft flew from the airfield, these included, Defiants, Sea Hurricanes, Sea Gladiators, Masters, Martinets, Proctors, Lysanders, Albacores, Fulmars, Barracudas, Swordfish, Corsairs, Hellcats & Seafires.

Protected Communications Building - the structure is well and truly sealed and access is not possible
DSC_0185.jpg

A blast wall protects the structure. Firing steps have been constructed to allow defence of the building
DSC_9664.jpg

The 1944 control tower with the original civilian watch office behind
DSC_9666.jpg

Mainhill Hangar
DSC_9673.jpg

Gun Butts
DSC_9680.jpg

Pillbox defending the bomb dump area
DSC_9690.jpg

Fusing Shed
DSC_9694.jpg

Internal lighting within bomb dump building
DSC_9695.jpg

Bomb dump structure
DSC_9697.jpg

Practice concrete 60 pound rocket projectile heads. These were used as practice warheads by Fleet Air
Arm Aircraft such as Swordfish. The real item was particularly effective against shipping
DSC_9704.jpg

Bomb dump structure with bomb handling crane metalwork still in place
DSC_9711.jpg

External lighting detail attached to bomb dump structure
DSC_9714.jpg

Further bomb storage or fusing building
DSC_9719.jpg

One of the disused runways
DSC_9729.jpg

A huge fire bell
DSC_9731.jpg

Building signage
DSC_9732.jpg

Parachute Drying and Storage Shed
DSC_9764.jpg

Pulleys inside parachute store roof structure
DSC_9762.jpg

Some buildings still have the original cast iron radiators in place
DSC_9824.jpg

Water tank sections being used as a silage clamp
DSC_9826.jpg

A very derelict Volkswagen in one of the buildings
DSC_9836.jpg

Thanks for looking

Last edited:
Crackin'report and top notch photos.A real gem of a find and wxcellent weather to boot !! Wot more could a man ask ? Holiday in Cornwall next year ? Possibly !!

Fantastic site and excellent report, Hydealfred. So much still left there...different to the usual, too. Love the Comms Building and the Butts. I've yet to see either of those on a site...I need to get out more! :mrgreen:
Good stuff. :)

That was good I did lilke that report shame about the communications building being bricked up tight.:)

The Comms Building was open until recently but all windows, doors etc have now been bricked up. I believe someone has bought the site and will convert it into a studio. There are alot of original features in the building so I am informed.

Superb history with photos to match; many thanks! I can't believe all the times I have been surfing up Boobys & Constantine area and yet had know idea of the existence of all these interesting relics.
Armed with your extensive history of the airfield,I can walk around the site with a greater degree of knowing than is usual too me and my ignorance.:confused:
Many thanks Derren.:)

Latest posts

Back