Drake Island, Plymouth! *pic heavy*

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Harry

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Reaction score
Myself and 'Bunker Bill' went over yesterday and what a fantastic place!

The place is steeped in history from way back in 1135 and this is worth a read:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drake's_Island

Onto the pic's...

P6020747.png

P6030840.png

P6030844.png

IMAG0045.png

P6030845.png

IMAG0102.png

IMAG0052.png

IMAG0092.png

IMAG0092.png

IMAG0096.png

P6030891.png

P6030851.png

P6030941.png

P6030973.png

P6030949.png

P6030916.png

P6030885.png

P6030933.png

Nice work guys tell me are the other canon barrels still lying around over there, I had wanted to visit myself as I have a buddy down that way and saw some shots somewhere of some even older canon barrels :)

Nice work guys tell me are the other canon barrels still lying around over there, I had wanted to visit myself as I have a buddy down that way and saw some shots somewhere of some even older canon barrels :)

It's definately worth a visit if you can get over there! Would these be the barrels you've previously saw?

P6030935.png

Could well be S o B maybe you could give me a hint on the best way (Other than swimming) to get over there...its been on my todo for a couple of years now...

Cracking! I dived in the lee of that island a time or two in the eighties and even lifted a cannon on a salvage course. I had no idea what was on the island though. Those big muzzle loaders look very much like the Armstrong cannon in Fort Rinella on Malta which they have restored and fire regularly. They were too much too late because breech loaders appeared about the same time if I remember correctly.

Well done chaps.

I like this!

I done some work in Plymouth a few months back and wondered what was over there so thanks very much for posting them up! :)

It's seeing islands & forts like this that make me want to play the euro millions!
Fantastic site and as you say, just steeped in history.
How long did you get to look round? Looks like there's so much to see!

Wow that place is great and has such a rich history to it, it has been added to my list - I just need to borrow a boat..... Great pictures, love old cannons too, Thanks for sharing!

It's seeing islands & forts like this that make me want to play the euro millions!
Fantastic site and as you say, just steeped in history.
How long did you get to look round? Looks like there's so much to see!

Thanks UrbanX - we spent between 4-5 hours on the island and it's packed with stuff to see and a return visit is definately required!

Great explore, really love pics 8 & 9, the ones with the Iron shielded emplacement flanked by the later addition, pity the door seems to be bricked up to that area

Latest posts

Back