RAF Newton May 2008

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crashmatt

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Reaction score
This place has been heavily covered before, and I notice now that lots of the shots I've taken have already been posted :)

So I'll try and stick to shots that are new or a little different.

Many thanks to Kaputnik for suggesting the venue and organising us. The group consisted of Kaputnik, The_Revolution, Carpetpaul (plus girlfriend) and myself.
Anyway, we turned up and wandered on to the site and went into one of the houses. Took a few shots in there, but nothing particularly different to what others have taken. Walked round a bit more and Kaputnick found the entrance to a bunker.

Squash Courts

Nest built on a window ledge

Ceiling tiles make a good substrate for growing grass

Leafy road

A collection of shells in the nursery

Leaking roof

I love this room!

Slowly decaying hall

A row of taps

Not sure who was more surprised, me or the owl :)

No idea what this room was for. A single story building comprising two rooms, this one painted totally black.

Pharmacy, with barred windows in the background.

Furnace

There appears to be a fully soundproofed TV studio in one of the buildings - a little on the small side though.

Random teapot

Not sure what this is. A perspex sheet, with a list of airfields and numbers.

Bunker

All this wandering was taking us in the direction of the water tower. Took a bit of climbing to find the best route to bring everyone in. Was rather windy perched on top of the wall :)

Plant machinery in the base of the water tower.

From the top

Rails and pipes

Inside the water tower

Cool vent caps

Scrap Yarrd

Water tower

Scrap textiles - containing a car

Fab dials

Hanger doors

And so on to the control tower

I desperately wanted to get in here, but it was locked up tight. However, a little persistence and sideways thinking got us in :)
Not much in here though, it appears to be undergoing development as there are many paint pots and decorators ladders around the place. Here are a couple of shots anyway.

After the control tower carpetpaul and girlfriend has to make tracks, leaving the three of us to do the last part - the hanger.

The_Revolution climbing up

Panorama from the roof

It was walking back to the cars from here that we encountered the man in the silver car :) We were told it was private property, so we left - all quite polite.

Took a slightly different route out and took a shot of this

A rather nice day out - a few pieces missed, so we'll head back for another look sometime.

some very good shots of the place
you were lucky to get to the tower nice work!!!
funny how "the man in the silver car" just appears!! like the shopkeeper in mr benn!!
was the control tower open?

some very good shots of the place
you were lucky to get to the tower nice work!!!
funny how "the man in the silver car" just appears!! like the shopkeeper in mr benn!!
was the control tower open?

Well, we'd been there for eight hours before he said hello :)

The control tower was locked up tight, but there is a way in. PM for details.

we'd been there for eight hours before he said hello :)
Yeah, a full 8 hour shift:mrgreen:
still a few buildings to visit another time, such a big site is difficult to cover in one visit, some of my pictures...
couple of pics from the abandonned DESA dog training facility in the grounds, as visited by Goldie87 and co. recently,

DSCN1283re.jpg

DSCN1285re.jpg

the 'H' block shaped buildings we didn't get round to looking at this time, very recognisable from flash earth images of the site..

DSCN1263re.jpg

The_Rev. and Crashmatt take a look at the control tower..

DSCN1279re.jpg

loved this old original Tannoy speaker, with bird nest perched on the top of it!
DSCN1239re.jpg

not a detailed scale map of some melanesian islands, but more fallen ceiling tiles with moss growing on them!

DSCN1216re.jpg

a cool window in a rooftop room at the control tower...

DSCN1288re.jpg

inside the tower...

DSCN1290re.jpg

and a view of the tower from the nearby hangar rooftop..

DSCN1293re.jpg

The_Revolution enjoying the view...

DSCN1294re.jpg

Crashmatt and The_Rev. cross the roof...

DSCN1299re.jpg

Carpetpaul in the squashcourt...

DSCN1224re.jpg

there were so many parts of dead animals in various rooms, maybe due to our friend the owl pictured earlier. rabbits, birds, a cat!
no idea what these once belonged to....

DSCN1227re.jpg

DSCN1241re.jpg

onwards, to the water pumping tower...

DSCN1250re.jpg

Crashmatt near the rooftop siren, very windy up here, but a tremendous view of the site, as it was the tallest building...

DSCN1262ree.jpg

a really great place to explore, and well worth a look:mrgreen:

how odd i was thinking about Mr Benn today aswell :lol:

nice one on getting upo that tower and in the control tower, did you see the big black sensors?

Kaputnik - nice shot of me on the hanger roof. I was trying to stand up in the wind (and not succeeding) while getting enough pictures to make a panorama shot :lol:

Glad you guys got some shots in the water tower; none of mine turned out :mad:

2527646276_720b5350a2.jpg

The inside of the only open bomb shelter that we managed to find.

2526826599_522624b3c5.jpg

Radiator and peeling wallpaper.

2527647644_8efdbb75be.jpg

A sink and open window.

2526827041_f1ccd3f918_b.jpg

View of the hangers from the water tower.

2529213990_24f427049c.jpg

A still life. Cup of tea anyone?

2526827687_5ab32b303b.jpg

Natures revenge.

Last edited:
These are from a previous visit, but may as well add them here...

most visitors seem to get a variation on this shot,

DSCN0438re.jpg

DSCN0445re.jpg

inside the mess hall, brambles finding a way in....

DSCN0434re.jpg

don't imagine this has been rung in many a year..

DSCN0448re.jpg

yep, the coloured acetate stuff from Ebay came today, no doubt a bit of cellotaping bits to various torches to get strange lighting effects will follow!

You're invited, next visit!:)

Love the photos!!
If only I had joined up to this forum sooner, I would have loved to have come with you.
I live in the small town (Bingahm) which it 5mins away (If that) from there, an I used to work on that site to :p. I done some photos of that place to (not as deatailed) for my photographic course in those garages a few years back.

Would you mind if I come along too on your next visit to RAF Newton??:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

Cracking explore, guys, and some really nice photography!

Question to Crashmatt: You picture entitled "Squash Courts" are they in the buildings behind the trees, or did they once stand on the area in the fore ground?

BTW, the control tower is fab, I have seen lots of pictures of it, but would love to see it in the flesh, so to speak!

Question to Crashmatt: You picture entitled "Squash Courts" are they in the buildings behind the trees, or did they once stand on the area in the fore ground?

BTW, the control tower is fab, I have seen lots of pictures of it, but would love to see it in the flesh, so to speak!

The Picture entitled "Squash Courts" is actually an out door tennis court, behind some over grown bushes
The one entitled "Carpetpaul in the squashcourt..." is the sqush court.

I'm a bit of a mong, it's the tennis courts. The squash courts are a bit further over,

2527484594_6283181743_b.jpg

2526669813_097d833029_b.jpg

Thanks for clarifying that, I wasn't sure if it was an error, and didn't want to sound like I was being and arse:p. Squash court (the real one) looks really cool:mrgreen:

A marathon explore there guys,you did well to get so far,photos are a real credit to your efforts too,
nice work:)

Latest posts

Back