Oakwell Brickworks, Ilkeston, Derbyshire - 07/08

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

85 Vintage

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Reaction score
I went here last year and decided to go back to get some better pictures. Unfortunately, I was unable to get access to the kiln this time. There really isn't much left apart from the kiln itself, with another structure pretty intact aswell. I haven't been able to find much about the place, the original name for it was Oakwell Red and Blue Brick Co Ltd, and the company was liquidated in 1930, but not sure if bricks were still produced here after then.

It's a Hoffman kiln, and from having a search there's only another of the type in the country. I haven't been able to find out any more info on this actual brick works apart from the fact the site is now owned by Corus, who want to use the land for.........

Houses :rolleyes: But the land is contaminated so planning was turned down. The kiln is grade 2 listed, but will probably justbe left to rot even more

Bit of info on Hoffman Kiln HERE

I didn't get that many new pics, so will put a few up of the recent visit then some older one's
S7300449.jpg

S7300437.jpg

S7300444.jpg

Arch in the side of the structure above (old photo taken on phone)
Image048.jpg

S7300427.jpg

Some of the older one's now...

Inside the kiln
PICT1469.jpg

This goes through to the upper floor
PICT1468.jpg

Upper floor (phone pic)
Image016.jpg

Image018.jpg

Image023.jpg

S7300441.jpg

This is looking down one of the smaller arches to the right of the large arch above
PICT1461.jpg

S7300439.jpg

In the remains of where the above building stood, maybe a cellar
Image039.jpg

This was the only fixture I saw in the kiln itself.

Some people may find these interesting :mrgreen:

Plain blue brick
S7300448.jpg

Some Oakwell bricks :)
S7300429.jpg

S7300443.jpg

PICT1457.jpg

Image030.jpg

Some random bricks,
Image032.jpg

Image046.jpg

Excellent stuff, Vintage. Enjoyed seeing this site, especially as the Hoffman kiln is such a rarity. I like the hangar-like ceiling and the different bricks. :)

Spent many happy hours down 'oakey brickyard' in my yoot! very local to me, great place for messing around in the summer holidays, on your grifter in the mid 80's! and close to the primary school i went to (showing my age now!)
the kiln building was always a bit dodgy to enter even back then, seemed likely to fall down around you at any moment, probably why it got fenced off more recently, and was a bit of a hang-out for glue sniffers and local scumbags.
interesting to see some of the Oakwell bricks around the place in your pics.:)

Latest posts

Back