Parys Mountain

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

borntobemild

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Reaction score
Visited whilst in N Wales earlier in the summer.

I think it has been mined on and off , mainly for copper, since Roman times. The site is of significant from an archeaological, historical and biological point of view so please treat with respect.

The 'crater' is enormous! - caused partly by open cast mining and partly by collapsed workings. There are shafts and adits everywhere.

The colours of the heaps of spoil are amazing, varying through pink, to ochre, to purple. It's supposed to look most striking at sunset - we were there about midday.

The site is owned by Anglesey Mining. There is a waymarked walk round the site. There is one area of active opencast, and also the headstock of a shaft created in the 90s. Deep mining was stopped when the price of minerals dropped. I'm surprised they haven't started again given the price of copper now.

Apparently it has been used as a location for Doctor Who and Mortal Kombat. Fred Dibnah also filmed there.

Some general shots. The windmill you can see was used to pump water out of the shafts. It's obviously a windy spot as there were a couple of wind farms close by.

parys004.jpg

parys008.jpg

parys009.jpg

Badly sealed off shaft!

parys010.jpg

After they had extracted as much ore as they could from the workings, they then pumped water through. The ore rich water was then collected in ponds. Scrap iron was dumped into the ponds and the copper then was precipitated out onto the scrap iron. The scrap iron was then removed (not sure after how long) and the copper scraped off.

chemistry not my strong point. that's the best i could do

parys013.jpg

Perygl!!!!

parys015.jpg

Engine house

parys016.jpg

Great stuff, bring on the mine reports!!

Did you not get underground? There is a fantastic kind of stalactite called a "Snottite" down there, it is formed from the snot of bacteria:sick:

Great to see something from Parys on here.

Love the lighting on the first three images. Will have to get over there at some point. :)

It's a fabulous place isn't it. I keep meaning to organise an underground trip there but I've never quite got round tuit. I always thought it would be spot on for Mordor in The Lord of the Rings.

Fantastic place this. :) I love all the different colours in the mounds - it reminds me of those glass containers you can buy with coloured sand in.

Great stuff, bring on the mine reports!!

Did you not get underground? There is a fantastic kind of stalactite called a "Snottite" down there, it is formed from the snot of bacteria:sick:

Great to see something from Parys on here.

Didn't do any serious exploring as I had 'The Management' with me and the family. More of a sightseeing trip really.

Stuck my head down one adit and it looked like it sloped downwards quite steeply. Proceed with caution. 20 miles of tunnels under the mountain apparently.

My £50 camera did a surprisingly good job of capturing the colours, but the battery gave up before we got to the windmill.

There is a local group that organises underground tours for serious explorers.

http://www.parysmountain.co.uk/

The mines were featured on 'Extreme Archaeology' on Channel 4 a few years ago.

http://www.channel4.com/history/microsites/E/extremearchaeology/prog_parys.html

Yes they do go for miles. I have a friend who went and the water is so acidic it eats through things at an unbelievable rate. Its very nasty if you get it in the eyes too!

Parys Mountain is a great place to visit and you have captured the flavour of the place very well.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back