Butleigh Hospital, Nr. Glastonbury.

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LivingFire

Reaction score
I recently visited Butleigh Hospital, which is in the small village of Butleigh, deep in the heart of rural Somerset, near Glastonbury.

Butleigh Hospital was built in 1882, and was originally known as Sir George Bowles Hospital. It closed in 2005. Other than that I don't know much about the history of this place!

Unfortunately, because it was so dark the photographs didn't come out as well as I hoped, but I think I got a few good'uns. Enjoy...

To start off with the pics, here's Butleigh Hospital in 1955.
1955.jpg

And now. Sorry, not quite the same angle but you get the idea :). Spot the missing chimney! :confused:
2008.jpg

building.jpg

awning.jpg

Wow, when inside we were faced with complete darkness. And being the donut I am, I left my torch in the car! It was frickin scary. So you get an idea of just how dark it was, heres a piccy with no flash. Not sure what the light trails are from but cool eh :).
light.jpg

corridor-1.jpg

ward.jpg

corridor2.jpg

bath.jpg

The soggy ward!
ward2.jpg

sink.jpg

keys.jpg

crest.jpg

The electricity was still on, and buzzing through these sockets creating blue sparks.
phone.jpg

wallpaper.jpg

radiator.jpg

The Attic
roof.jpg

skylight.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
that radiator looks like its going to go for a walk soon

no doubt helped on its way

Good explore... despite not being savaged by chavs or the like... it seems to be in a bad way... when did it close?

I have to say that this place was the most boring hospital I have EVER been to ..... the only thing that made it a little more interesting was the "Slaughtered Lamb" pub next door!

... Beware of the moon lads and stick to the road! :lol: ;)

I don't think it looks boring. But everyone has different tastes etc. Love the outside of the building, was it built as a hospital, or turned into one from a private dwelling? Like the old wooden bannister, and really like the Stone plaque in there. Nice to see the old metal and glass 40's style doors going off to the wards on each side of the corridor.

Very nice pics, I do like this.

:) Sal

Good explore... despite not being savaged by chavs or the like... it seems to be in a bad way... when did it close?

It closed in 2005.

I'm thinking that perhaps the state of the building contributed to it's closure, some parts were in a very bad way - paticularly the roof that had huge holes in it!

lillimouse - It's not the most interesting of hospitals but I wouldn't call it boring! Some good features there and it's a lovely building. Could you suggest anywhere else in the South West?

smileysal - I don't know much about the history of the building, but I think it was purpose built as a hospital. Back in the days when hospitals were attractive, unique buildings I suppose :).

3 seconds on google told me exactly where it is... it's really not difficult to figure it out for yourself. In fact it's quicker than coming on here and asking.

Latest posts

Back