Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 29

Thread: Don Valley Academy & Performing Arts College - Doncaster - Jan 2017

  1. #11
    Join Date
    February 2008
    Location
    Rawdon Leeds
    Age
    73
    Posts
    1,302
    Thanked
    1100

    Default


    Quote Originally Posted by smiler View Post
    You captured that sense of abandonment HA, I hope the usable assets don't go in a skip, Proper Job, Thanks.
    All depends on the Demolition Contractor. Contract appears to be the usual one - Flatten and Clear Site Completely. The actual value of your so called 'usable assets' is peanuts compared with the costs of removal, storage or on site auction fees. The sale of such items might bring in 2% of money spent in 'saving' them for future use/sale. Up to quite recently there were two old mill buildings in my area that had been used by 'house clearance' businesses to store most of the small value dross they collected almost daily. The conversion of the mills to money making apartments and offices meant the rapid clear out onto the bonfire, when you move, you leave your 'rubbish' behind for others to sort out (hopefully!). Somebody else might take a liking to it, but at the end of the day it is just a pile of relatively valueless objects - as these gentlemen found out. It is the scrap value of the metals and the reclaimable stonework used in the building's construction that is the hopeful profit for these companies. A distant branch of my family have been in the demolition business in Doncaster for years and it was always the reclaimable construction materials that mattered and these were thus treated as potential money earners.



    If you fancy anything, go and make the demolition contractor an offer - Before work starts. Then turn up at the allotted time with manpower and transport. Years ago I equipped a very well stocked model engineering workshop by this very means - all obtained from the contractor who was clearing a Sheffield Engineering firm's redundant tool room and site.
    Last edited by Dirus_Strictus; 3rd Jan 17 at 13:27.

    ----------
    Thanks given by: smiler, The Wombat

  2.  
     
  3. #12
    Join Date
    September 2005
    Location
    Bristol, UK.
    Posts
    9,191
    Thanked
    5492

    Default


    Quote Originally Posted by Dirus_Strictus View Post
    All depends on the Demolition Contractor. Contract appears to be the usual one - Flatten and Clear Site Completely. The actual value of your so called 'usable assets' is peanuts compared with the costs of removal, storage or on site auction fees. The sale of such items might bring in 2% of money spent in 'saving' them for future use/sale. Up to quite recently there were two old mill buildings in my area that had been used by 'house clearance' businesses to store most of the small value dross they collected almost daily. The conversion of the mills to money making apartments and offices meant the rapid clear out onto the bonfire, when you move, you leave your 'rubbish' behind for others to sort out (hopefully!). Somebody else might take a liking to it, but at the end of the day it is just a pile of relatively valueless objects - as these gentlemen found out. It is the scrap value of the metals and the reclaimable stonework used in the building's construction that is the hopeful profit for these companies. A distant branch of my family have been in the demolition business in Doncaster for years and it was always the reclaimable construction materials that mattered and these were thus treated as potential money earners.
    Most demolition contracts these days permit the contractor to salvage and resell anything they want. However rarely is anything of value unless the building is of very high quality (fireplaces, architectural features etc), so it usually gets chewed up in the demolition process. As Dirius says, just because someone somewhere might be able to reuse something, that doesn't make it viable to salvage. You have to find that person then squeeze a worthwhile profit out of them, which is unlikely for all but high demand or very rare items. Demolition contractors are also legally bound by current environmental law to salvage as much as they possibly can for recycling or re-use, and it's in their best interests to as even with the cost of processing and a low resale value it's often still cheaper than disposal costs with such high landfill taxes now.

    ----------
    Thanks given by: Dirus_Strictus, The Wombat

  4. #13
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Cambridgeshire
    Posts
    1,379
    Thanked
    3603

    Default


    Wow this is incredible! Nice one Hippie Alien :)

    ----------
    Thanks given by: Hippie Alien

  5. #14
    Join Date
    March 2013
    Location
    Leicestershire
    Age
    40
    Posts
    1,443
    Thanked
    2419

    Default


    Excellent report!
    Liking the swimming pool
    Black cat exploring company
    & LSD - Leicester Super Derpers

    ----------
    Thanks given by: Hippie Alien

  6. #15
    Join Date
    March 2007
    Location
    Mansfield, Nottinghamshire
    Age
    40
    Posts
    803
    Thanked
    316

    Default


    Looks excellent, and rather sizeable. That pool water is surprisingly clean.

    ----------
    Thanks given by: Hippie Alien

  7. #16
    Join Date
    November 2016
    Location
    South wales
    Age
    29
    Posts
    13
    Thanked
    11

    Default


    Amazing photos would love a snoop around there.

    ----------
    Thanks given by: Hippie Alien

  8. #17
    Join Date
    February 2017
    Posts
    2
    Thanked
    1

    Default


    Man it's sad seeing my old school in this state. If you would like any annotations for the areas and rooms you visited then I am more than happy to help.

    Why didn't you take any photos of the main hall (the room behind the red doors in photo 6)? That would have been wonderful to see again.

    ----------
    Thanks given by: Hippie Alien

  9. #18
    Join Date
    September 2016
    Location
    Barnsley
    Posts
    75
    Thanked
    625

    Default


    Quote Originally Posted by tmjwid View Post
    Man it's sad seeing my old school in this state. If you would like any annotations for the areas and rooms you visited then I am more than happy to help.

    Why didn't you take any photos of the main hall (the room behind the red doors in photo 6)? That would have been wonderful to see again.
    I did take some photos in there. Just didn't like how they turned out so didn't include them. Will have a look through my pics again and see what I have that I can post up
    Just a mad woman with a love for exploring :D

    https://www.facebook.com/HippieAlienUrbex

    ----------
    Thanks given by: tmjwid

  10. #19
    Join Date
    September 2016
    Location
    Barnsley
    Posts
    75
    Thanked
    625

    Default


    Here are some of the pictures of the main hall I didn't include in my original post for you tmjwid :)



    Just a mad woman with a love for exploring :D

    https://www.facebook.com/HippieAlienUrbex

    ----------
    Thanks given by: tmjwid

  11. #20
    Join Date
    February 2017
    Posts
    2
    Thanked
    1

    Default


    Quote Originally Posted by Hippie Alien View Post
    Here are some of the pictures of the main hall I didn't include in my original post for you tmjwid :)



    Thank you for these. Would it be possible for you to release all the photos you took that you didn't feel were worth showing? More from a nostagia point than an artistic point as these photos have been gaining a lot of attention from people who went to the school. Thank you for taking these by the way, it's amazing to see even in its current state, that loads of the original posters and things are still there.

    ----------

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Police Academy 1/4 Aug 2014
    By cunningplan in forum Misc Sites
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 19th Aug 14, 10:25
  2. Old Bridge of Don Academy, Aberdeen
    By nickso in forum Misc Sites
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 5th Sep 11, 18:44
  3. Soar Valley Community College - September 2009
    By jon_nic in forum Misc Sites
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 13th Oct 09, 20:53

About us
DerelictPlaces is a forum for people with an interest in the history and documentation of derelict and abandoned buildings to come together and share their experiences, photography and historical findings. Our military, industrial and historical heritage is fast disappearing under the pressure of regeneration, the need for new housing, and often through simple neglect; Our aim is to document these places before they disappear entirely.
Follow us