Bere Alston HAA Battery, Nr. Plymouth - May '09

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Badoosh

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Reaction score
After a productive day researching & locating more underground stuff around the Plymouth area, myself & theterrorwheel decided to take in this site which has been on the list for a while. It was a little difficult to get good pics due to the place being so overgrown, wind blowing us all over the place & threatening to bring down what is already dodgy roofs, oh & sinking ankle deep in that lovely cow product :mrgreen:

The battery is now used as farm & animal stores, but was built around 1942 to protect the northern approach for incoming bombers making their way to attack Plymouth, & is located between the rivers of the Tamar & Tavy, used as landmarks by the attacking aircraft.
It was armed with four 3.7" or 4.5" gun emplacements in an arc facing the north, with a command post to the rear, sentry post protecting the original entrance to the west & Nissen huts in an adjoining field to the north east providing accomodation & magazine.

On with the pics....starting with the sentry post, thoroughly camouflaged as mother nature takes hold

BereAlstonHAABattery121.jpg

BereAlstonHAABattery114-1.jpg

Exterior & interior shots from the gun emplacements
BereAlstonHAABattery034.jpg

BereAlstonHAABattery122.jpg

BereAlstonHAABattery035.jpg

BereAlstonHAABattery037.jpg

BereAlstonHAABattery039.jpg

BereAlstonHAABattery025.jpg

BereAlstonHAABattery024.jpg

BereAlstonHAABattery004.jpg

Each emplacement had it's own shelter attached at the side or the rear
BereAlstonHAABattery122.jpg

BereAlstonHAABattery012.jpg

BereAlstonHAABattery030.jpg

Images from the command post
BereAlstonHAABattery046.jpg

BereAlstonHAABattery074.jpg

BereAlstonHAABattery060.jpg

BereAlstonHAABattery055.jpg

BereAlstonHAABattery067.jpg

BereAlstonHAABattery065.jpg

BereAlstonHAABattery052.jpg

Finally, some shots from the Nissen huts
BereAlstonHAABattery096.jpg

BereAlstonHAABattery090.jpg

BereAlstonHAABattery110.jpg

BereAlstonHAABattery080.jpg

BereAlstonHAABattery100.jpg

Unfortunately TTW left his cameraback-up batteries at home due to a KFC moment, but i think he got some ok pics before his batts died. :p

Blimey, some seriously good research there, Badoosh. They could have used the farmer during the war, as he's done some amazing camouflage on the site! :lol: You really wouldn't know it was there! :mrgreen:
Nice one. :)

nice place mate, went there around xmas time and looks as muddy as it was then !!!!!!

yer when we went it stunk too !! We didnt venture i nto a couple of the gun implacements/barns due to the amount of (security) Cows there :lol: Good effort

yer had a butchers around here a while back was hoping the command post had a few items inside but nowt left,

we had good fun greenlaning that day i recall:)

yer we did -- and pulled/rescued one of members on here up a hill close by :mrgreen:

It's a shame it's got in that state, although i was more annoyed when we realised the old ROC Post further down from here had gone! We found a couple of interesting adits in the area which need further visits, the hills take it out of you but it's worth it for the views overlooking Tamar Valley. :)

Great report. If you didn't know it was there you would never find it, a mix of mother nature and the farmer have seen to that. Nice work Badoosh

Latest posts

Back