Brookside dyers, Sketchley / Johnsons, Hinckley, May 2009

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sj9966

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Reaction score
A large site which started life as A.E.Hawley and co.

Part of the site became Brookside Dyers and finishers which closed sometime in the 90's and the other half was Sketchley Industrial dry cleaning.

After Brookside Dyers closed Sketchley took ownership of the entire site until Johnsons Apparalmaster took over and eventually closed it down after relocating.

There has been loads of stuff left behind such as overalls, workboots, gloves, respirators, computers, paperwork etc, in some places is does not look as though it has been empty for long.

I spent a good 3 hours here and in no way did I cover it all. I stayed away from tha back part of the site as there was a lot of activity with workers stripping out the buildings ready for demolition, which in some parts of the site does not look as if it will be long.

I am glad I got to see what I did

DSCN0261.jpg

Workers on site

DSCN0201.jpg

DSCN0062.jpg

DSCN0065.jpg

DSCN0073.jpg

DSCN0083.jpg

DSCN0084-1.jpg

DSCN0091.jpg

DSCN0097.jpg

DSCN0100.jpg

DSCN0118.jpg

DSCN0124.jpg

DSCN0132.jpg

DSCN0133.jpg

DSCN0143.jpg

DSCN0164.jpg

DSCN0171.jpg

DSCN0176.jpg

DSCN0180.jpg

DSCN0183.jpg

DSCN0210.jpg

DSCN0216.jpg

DSCN0229.jpg

DSCN0236.jpg

DSCN0241.jpg

DSCN0243.jpg

Last edited:
:lol: I thought about you as soon as I saw the keys! Some fab rusty ones there. :mrgreen:
Those 1945 booklets are great...hope they can be saved! :)

When I was in my teens I started collecting keys, I managed to collect about 500 over the years, but havn't added much to them since then. They are still on my "Keyboard" at my parents home.

i was told about this place recently and is only a very short distance from where i work so i will hopefully be visiting this place very shortly before the bulldozers finally move in.

thought i would have alook at this place myself today but as i was about to turn into the little pull in road next to the main gates.there was a man sittin in the guard box so i just thought id leave it and maybe things had changed there now! o another wasted trip

Great report there, does this factory back onto the railway line? If so I used to pass this on the train often. I love those lights, dig that 70's feel:mrgreen:

Part of the site became Brookside Dyers and finishers which closed sometime in the 90's and the other half was Sketchley Industrial dry cleaning.

After Brookside Dyers closed Sketchley took ownership of the entire site until Johnsons Apparalmaster took over and eventually closed it down after relocating.

This is innacurate.

The brookside dyers section had been the dying part of Skecthley. Sketchley stopped dying when the hosiery trade dwindled, and sub let to Brookside dyers. When that too closed that section lay unused. I explored that 4 or 5 years ago and it was in a state then, so it must have closed in the 1990's...

Latest posts

Back