Clipstone Colliery Including Headstock Climb

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

james.s

Reaction score
Hello folks!
Me and LIO112 headed up to Clipstone Colliery today after Belper Thorntons factory (report later) and were gobsmacked, it is an awesome place, a cathedral of industry, miraculously not too trashed either. It was one of the last collieries to close, here is the history, from here

In 1922 the shafts of Clipstone Colliery were sunk to exploit the Top Hard seam. In the 1950s the shafts were deepened to their current 920m depth to provide access to other seams.

After being closed by British Coal in 1993, the colliery was reopened under the control of RJB Mining in April 1994.

Winding House and Headstocks
IMG_7140.png

One of the Headstocks
IMG_7145.png

Winding Wheel
IMG_7151.png

Mission Command
IMG_7154.png

Looking Down Towards Winder 2
IMG_7157.png

The Motors
IMG_7164.png

Visitor Book
IMG_7171.png

More Motors
IMG_7179.png

Winding House Aerial View
IMG_7189.png

The Target
IMG_7210.png

Between The Wheels
IMG_7222.png

Around 150ft Up
IMG_7239.png

Thanks for looking!

Last edited:
Thanks, it really is good, we went on a Sunday, there are builders there every other day I think.
There was a wall with other Urbexer's names on it, I recognised quite a lot :)

I have a newfound love of Collieries, it's a shame that these are the only two I know of the UK.

Brilliant stuff James, love the pics. Never done headstocks before but certainly would like to one day!

Thanks :) I'd love to get to the top of the gantry crane at the very top, I only got to the top of the wheel when I went, so I may have togo back at night or something ;)

nice one James great report and location i need to go here looks like a great explore, well done mate.

WOTS was suggesting that during a very recent visit shortly after your visit - that things were left very badly here. The strength of what he said reflects an anger at the deterioration in the condition of the buildings in just a few short months. We have a collective responsibility to try to make sure that they survive into the future,

Personally I never wanted to see the day that Clipstone became like Annesley, for many years it was a place you had to work hard to see, When that changed things went downhill I was sickened by damage that I saw there.

With that in mind I've removed some posts... any other discussions can be had via pm

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back